[Beta] Chapter 19

Rin and Obito strolled around Konoha, keeping their eyes pealed for elderly ladies in trouble. However, they had forgotten to account for the countless faces that knew them so they had to hide every time one showed up. It was very exhausting.

     Luck struck upon them when one old lady accidentally dropped her bag of groceries. "Oh dear."

    She struggled to pick it up but her back wouldn't allow her. Obito swooped in and grabbed her runaway fruit and vegetables and placed them neatly back in the bag. 

     "Why, aren't you a dear, " she cooed.

    Rin struggled to contain her laughter when his face turned a bright red. The woman grabbed and pinch the ex-Akatsuki member's cheek. "If only my grandchildren were like you."

     She then decided to join and looped her arm around the grandmother, surprising her. "Obito is such a good person, right? Ever since he was young he did this!"

     "Obito...? That actually sounds familiar..."

     The Nohara froze and felt cold sweat dripping down her back. She tried to cover it up as quickly as she could, "W-well there are a couple of people with the name Obito!"

     Honestly, Rin made it up on the spot and knew no one else with the name of her teammate. She could only hope that the elderly lady wouldn't connect the conspicuous dots in front of her. "Hmm... I guess so."

     The two let out a relieved sigh and continued to escort her across the roads. There was a sudden rumble and a few cries of the civilians. The two tried to stand their ground. 

     There was a flash of green and her eyes bulged at the sight to see. The bowl cut man was walking on his hands around the village. "G-Gai-san?"

     He was sweating profusely and could barely keep his eyes steady of the road in front of him. He turned to look at them when he heard his name. Gai tried to flash his best grin and greeted, "Hello Rin and Obi-"

     The green-jumpsuit nin blanched and took a double-take before finally fainting on the spot. Concerned, she reached out to help him but a strong grip on her wrist held her back. "He'll survive, he's just exhausted."

     "But-"

     "It's alright, Dearie. I already have someone helping me."

     Biting her lip and looking back and forth frustrated, she reasoned aloud, "He'll be... Fine."

     Looking at the man's fallen form, she could feel the doubt creep up on her again. Instead, she forced her head away and used all of her will to not look back. 

     Every few seconds, Obito Uchiha kept glancing at Rin, a bit angry at himself for stopping her. Maito Gai was their friend and she had the obligation to just help him as she would for him. However, he didn't have to like it. After all the time of chasing after her, she was making him the star of her attention. 

    He was spoiled and childish but it didn't matter because he loved her. Whatever made her happy would make him happy. Always. 

     There was the incoming of reflecting light off of light silver hair in the distance. Rin tried not to squeal with delight while the Uchiha tried not to Kamui away to the depths and never return.

     There was no turning back now.

     Gulping, he unconsciously held on the groceries tighter, almost tearing the paper bag. 

    "Smile, " Rin reminded him, sending him one of her bright grins. Unconsciously, a wide smile appeared on his face and his heart was kicked into a flutter. 

     She beamed, pleased with her work and confidently strutted across the street. "You want to go for ramen later?"

    "Why not?" he murmured, taking in all the sites in the meantime. He had forgotten the landmarks of his old village after being in the dingy cave for so long.

     "Is there anything you want, " she asked thoughtfully.

     "What about candy?" he suggested with a sparkle in his eyes.

     She laughed melodically. Kami, how he loved her laugh. The corners of his eyes crinkled slightly at her jovial giggle.

     Kakashi stared at the two and felt his mouth turn dry. He already had to come to terms with one dead person coming back to life but now there were two.