Blood Red Roses

I toyed with my soup as i pondered, " Petra, smile will you?" My father said over the soft clinking of spoons against bowls. I grinned, " Yes father." He smiled and sipped from his glass before standing to bring his dish into the kitchen. 

I looked up to see my mother crying, "Mother, what's the matter?" She wiped a tear with her sleeve, " I don't want you to go Petra!" I took her hand from across the table, " I'm going to come back mother! I promise you." She squeezed my hand, " I'm counting on that captain of yours to keep you safe." I smiled, " I know he will mother, he always does!" She grinned.

-The next morning-

I put on my uniform and said my far wells, promising i would return.

I slipped the letter i had written into my fathers work pants for him to find tomorrow and mounted my horse.

I made my way to the gate of the wall to see only Levi on his horse, " You're early." He said grimly, i looked over at him, " Hello to you too. " He adjusted his cloak and moved his horse directly next to mine, " Did you train?" He asked in a whisper. I smirked, " Yes, and i'm assuming you did too, looking at your knuckles." I whispered back. He took my hand under his cape, " Are you ready?" I squeezed his hand, " About as ready as i've ever been."

He released my hand at the sound of horses hooves clacking against the street. It was Gunther, " Captain, Petra, nice to see you." I smiled, " It's nice to see you too." He grinned and rode his horse next to mine. Levi looked over at Gunther with jealousy. Gunther blushed and his horse trotted farther forward. 

Eld's horse trotted towards us seconds later and we stood in silence until Aulo and his horse led a giant group of men behind us.

" Commander! It's a pleasure to see you!" I said as Erwin Smith rode in front of Levi. He grinned and responded, " Always a pleasure to see you all well." 

" The gate will be pulled open at my command. But until then, i want to thank you all for sacrificing your lives for the sake of humanity." The rumble of the gate opening ripped through the silence of the troops. 

" Move out!" Erwin yelled, and we did,  without a word. 

I looked over at Levi who rode faster to catch up to Erwin. 

" Titan!" Someone yelled from the huge crowd of men. 

A crowd of troops flew through the air until the titan fell to the Earth making us jump. 

Where's the female titan? I thought to my self. And coincidentally a huge stomp rumbled the Earth beneath me. A group of men flew into the air and attempted to slash her nape but where slapped away by her massive hand like insects. 

Levi pulled at my arm, " Wake up before you get your self killed!" I blinked and my horse moved along like a lightning bolt.

" Towards the forest!" Erwin yelled from the front of the crowd.

I rode behind Levi and Eren as they sped towards the green mass ahead of us. Levi looked back at me and i exhaled realizing it was going to be okay as long as he was here with me. He smirked turned his head forward and rode on with Eren and Erwin.

I looked around me as my horse ran with the wind. The skies were almost cloudless, making the sunlight that peered through them even more beautiful today than on others. I suddenly became aware of the warm wind blowing through my amber hair and smiled. " We could have these luxiouries every day if we wipe those bastards off of our land." I thought to myself. I guess that was part of my passion to kill the titans, but the other part was Levi, and my family, and the people who wait by the gates when we return from our long expeditions.

I felt another huge thump rattle the earth beneath me and turned to see the man behind me was in a titan's hand. My eyes grew wide and i sped my horse up. I looked back once more at the sound of his scream to see his head fall to the earth and his skull shatter under the titan's huge foot as it ran towards us.

Erwin and Levi kept their heads facing forwards, but Eren turned back and swallowed hard. I was woried for him, this is just his first expedition and he might die. I pulled up next to Eren, " Keep your head forward Eren and ride on unless you told other wise!" Eren was panting and his eyes were wider than the sun above our heads. I gave him a sympathetic look as Levi examined him like a bug. " Focus, Eren. We have a long path ahead of us." Eren inhaled the crisp air around us and nodded his head.

A titan thudded down in front of Erwin. " One group to the left, one to the right, Go!" He yelled over the frightned horses. Levi looked over at me and swerved his horse to the left, he held his hand out and waved me towards him. I rode next to him and searched for Eren, he was near Erwin. Three were on the right and four on left. I sighed, " I'm sorry Levi." I whispered. He shot his head in my direction as i rode to the right. Tears swam over my bottom lid blurring my vision, i wiped them away with my ffree hand and rode on. The titan's hand reached for me but my vision was still blured with tears and i felt the hand wrap around my middle with force. I reached for my blade and sliced its fingers off until i plopped down on my horse's saddle. Seconds later a three men shot into the air and sliced the nape of its neck until the tian fell to the earth. I wiped my tears and rushed towards the group on the right.