thirteen

I was hoping for a few more minutes of rest before Noel and Ike returned, but I am unfortunately disappointed.

When the door opens, however, Noel and Ike are not the ones entering the room- it's an older looking man who is dressed in a long white doctor's coat.

Man: Are you Rhys?

I don't respond but the man continues.

Man: My name is Dug. I'm your supervising doctor... I have some things to discuss with you.

I don't say anything, but Dug doesn't seem bothered. He doesn't seem quite like Ike or Noel, you know. Dug is okay so far.

Dug: Are Ike and Noel treating you well? I know they can be... er... overwhelming at times.

I stare at him like, really?!

He laughs.

Dug: Okay, maybe all of the time. Well, I'm not here to talk about Ike and Noel, I'm here to talk to you. You're test results were... different than anything I've ever seen. Tell me: have you been noticing any problems in the connection between you and your Voice?

Me: Voice?

Dug: Voice. That's what we call the person in your head. The real person. Do you have trouble communicating with yours?

He must be talking about you! You must be my Voice!

Me: Oh, no. My Voice- it's been a clearer connection ever since I've arrived here. I can always talk to my Voice, I don't have to wait until I feel their presence. It's great!

Dug looks extremely relieved.

Dug: So you haven't had any problems hearing your voice, then? Everything is okay?

Me: What do you mean by hearing? Like feeling my Voice's presence?

Dug's face falls, and I feel like I've let him down. Like I gave the wrong answer.

Dug: Oh... dear.

He's all disappointed. What was I supposed to say?!

Dug: You see, Rhys,-

He says my name as if I were actually a real person. Oh, how I wish...

Dug: -just like you, every character here has a Voice. The thing that makes you different from everyone else is that everyone else's Voice can talk back to them.

I stare at him.

What?

I swear I've heard you say something.

At least once.

Sometime?

Ever?

Dug: I'm sorry, Rhys.

Can you talk to me? I'm sure you can. Have you tried?

Are you trying? I can't hear you. I put my face in my hands.

Me: Dug?

Dug: Yes?

Me: I can't hear anything.

Dug: I know.

Me: Will I ever be able to? Can you fix me?

Dug: I don't know, Rhys.

And I swear, he says my name as if I'm real.

My head really hurts.

A/N-
Have you forgotten about this story yet? It's been a long time.
But I'm back!
I've missed you, and I've missed Rhys.
Much love!
~Em