seventeen

I take a deep breath to gather my wits about me.

Me: Hi, Ike.

Ike: Oh, oh! The silent character speaks!

I choose to ignore that.

Me: Can you please help me find Dug? Please?

Ike: It's only been, what, an hour or two and you're already back to see Dug? Well, I don't blame you. He's a very likable guy. Anyway, I think he's reviewing some character profiles right now, but I'll take you to him as soon as he's finished.

I groan inwardly. Why, Dug? Why must you leave me with this horrendously enthusiastic character?

Me: Thanks.

Ike: Not a problem at all! Why don't you have a seat while you wait?

Grateful for the excuse to get away from Ike, I take a seat and open my book. I've always wanted to read a book, did you know that? I've heard all about them but never read one before. Have you ever read a book? Wait, of course you have. How else would you know I exist?

Do you like this book?

I wish I didn't have to live in a book. I wish... I wish I were real, so I could be with you. So I could talk to you. So I could know you. I don't even know your name.

The librarian told me that all of the books in the library are about real people. Real, living people! Characters in FicCity get to read books about their Voices!

I wish I knew who you were. I would love to read a book about you.

I see movement out of the corner of my eye and I look up to see Dug stepping out of the teleportation box.

Dug: Hi Rhys, back so soon? Ike said you asked for me?

Me: Yes, I need to ask you about something.

Dug: Okay. Would you like to come to my office so we can talk about it?

I nod and follow Dug into the teleportation box. I watch carefully, trying to figure out how this dang thing works.

Dug presses a circle on the wall, and I can see that it has the number 12 on it. We stand in the box for a long time and I listen to the sounds the teleportation box makes.

Finally the door opens and we step into a big room I've never seen before.

Me: Where did that thing take us to?

Dug: The elevator took us to the 12th floor, where my office is. This is my office here.

I don't know what an elevator is, but it makes sense that because Dug pushed the 12 button, we would end up on the 12th floor. It must teleport people to different floors.

Dug: Have a seat. What did you want to talk about?

Me: I want to get a job.

Dug looks at me with sad eyes.

Dug: I'm sorry, Rhys, I don't think you understand how that would work.

Me: What do you mean? It seems simple enough. I'd be willing to do anything at all.

Dug: You see, Rhys, getting a job isn't that simple. At least, not for you. To get a job, you would need to have contact with your voice; you would need to hear from a real person. A job for any character is to be a character in a book their Voice is writing. I'm not sure why you can't connect with your Voice- either your Voice is not an author or you are not a character in the book they are writing. Does that make sense?

Me: So every single character in FicCity has a book that they're in?

Dug: Yes. Each character lives in a room- just as you did- at the beginning of their life. When an author creates them, the real person becomes the character's Voice and tells their character how to get out of their room. Frankly, I have no idea how you escaped your room without a Voice to tell you what to do.

Me: ... So I can't get a job? What am I supposed to do with my life? Am I supposed to just pretend that I'm a normal character?

I stand up and walk over to the window.

Me: Dug, you're a doctor so you don't understand. I was only out in the city for an hour or two and I could already see that I won't fit in. I can't make friends. Dug, no one talks to any other character out there! Every single character out there is too caught up talking to their Voice to want to make friends.

I glance at Dug. I think of Lana.

Me: Almost every character.

Dug stands up and walks over to me. He looks at me and I can see the sadness in his eyes.

Dug: I'm sorry that I can't do anything to help you. I don't know why you can't hear your Voice. I don't know why other characters choose to ignore the fictional world they live in. But I do know that you are special. There's a reason why you're here without a Voice. You just have to find out what it is.

I look at the floor and rub the back of my neck.

Me: Thank you. I- thank you. Sorry for bothering you, I'm sure you have much better things to do than help me with my problems every hour of the day.

Dug puts his hand on my shoulder.

Dug: I'll be here to help you whenever you need it.

With one last shared smile, I take my place alone in the teleportation box and leave his office. Minutes later I'm on the street again, heading back toward my apartment.

My dear Voice, what am I going to do? Why can't I hear you? Why am I here?

Maybe Dug was right; I'm here for a reason. I can't hear you for a reason.

I need to find out what that reason is.

A/N: Yay! Another update! My town just got a buttload of snow, so I had off school and was able to make another update for you guys. Thank you so much for your support, and as always, I love hearing your thoughts!
Em
(update my school was just cancelled for tomorrow as well so maybe another chapter soon (: )