sixteen

I walk out of my apartment building to the nearly empty park.

What am I supposed to do with my life now that I'm in FicCity? Just sit around and talk to you all day like I did before?

I mean, not like that's a bad thing. I love talking to you. I really love talking to you.

I glance down the street and see the character from the elevator walking away. Where is she going? What is there to do in this city?

Do you have fun things to do in your city? Do you even live in a city?

I wish I knew more about you.

There are still two characters in the park- the man sleeping on his blanket and the girl reading a book on a bench beneath a tall tree.

Make some friends, Dug had told me.

I walk up to the girl but she doesn't look up. She's too engrossed in her book. A strand of her light brown hair falls slowly out from behind her ear and hangs in front of her face.

I sit down on her bench, leaving a good four feet of space between us.

She doesn't look up.

Me: ...excuse me?

The girl looks up with a sweet smile.

Her: Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't see you there. What do you need?

She says it kindly, but seems a little closed. I wonder if I interrupted a conversation between her and her Voice. Do you think so?

Me: Sorry to bother you. I was wondering where you got your book?

She closes her book.

Her: You must be new here. There's a library down the street. Not many people check books out of there, they're too busy with work. But it's open to anyone.

I don't understand how someone could prefer working over reading.

Me: Thank you.

I stand up and start to walk away toward the library. But... I turn around.

Me: Sorry, what does the building look like?

Her: Don't be sorry! It's a tall gray building. It has a big sign that says 'library' on the front. You won't miss it.

She points down the street in the direction of the library.

Me: Thank you so much.

I remember what Dug said about making friends and I smile. The girl smiles back.

I start to walk away.

Her: Wait, sorry- what's your name?

Me: I'm Rhys.

Her: It was nice to meet you, Rhys. I'm Lana.

I start toward the library. It's good to know that not everyone in FicCity is like Ike or Noel. Like Dug and Lana, for example.

I glance back toward the park and see that Lana has dived back into her book.

I wonder about her mention of work. What kind of work did she mean? Will I need to get a job? Does Lana have a job? Do you have a job?

I've reached a big gray building. Yep, it says 'library' right there on the front. I walk in. Right inside the door is a big desk where a man sits, leaning back in his chair and chatting lazily- probably with his Voice.

Me: ...excuse me?

The man looks up at me.

Him: Oh, sorry. I didn't see you. What do you want?

This man makes me nervous.

Me: Um... is this where I can get a book?

Man: Well this is the library.

I look at him, waiting for him to help me. He doesn't. He says something under his breath and listens to the reply from his Voice.

Man: Excuse me, I need to leave for work. I have to go to my story, but someone else will be here to help you in... er... a few minutes.

He stands and brushes past me out of the building and onto the city street.

What should I do now? Wait?

After a few minutes, a different man enters the building from the doors behind me and takes his place behind the large desk.

Him: My apologies for the wait. What can I help you with?

Me: Where did that other guy go in such a hurry?

Him: Oh, he just had to go to work.

All this talk about work makes me wonder a little bit. Maybe I should find Dug and ask him.

Me: Oh. Well could you help me find a book, please?

10 minutes later, and I have a book in hand. I walk out of the library and start back toward my apartment. Wait, maybe I should find Dug instead. I turn around and walk the other direction, trying to remember where Dug's office was.

It feels like I've been walking forever when I come upon a bright yellow building.

I found it!

I open the door and step inside.

Ike: Why, hello, Rhys! It's been such a long time since we've talked last, almost a whole hour!

It takes all of my self control to keep myself from walking right back out that ugly yellow door.

A/N- YAY A REAL UPDATE FINALLY! Have you forgotten about this story yet? Hopefully not considering you've read this chapter! It feels so good to be back, but my major regret of having been on hiatus is that I've probably lost the majority of my readers on this story. Thank you so much to the readers who hadn't given up all hopes of this story being updated! Thanks a million for the support. Also, in celebration of the return of I Love You but You're Real, I've whipped up a new cover. Feel free to share your thoughts!
Much love,
Em