Chapter 16:

Chapter 16:

"I..." Mark muttered, hesitating like he had a big news to break to me.

"Mark continue! The suspense is killing me." I pleaded.

"I proposed to Rachel for marriage and she said yes." Mark said, almost whispering, more like he was trying to reassure himself.

"Oh my God Mark, that is fantastic news! I am so happy for both of you... Congratulations!" I said happily. For a moment I had totally forgotten the dilkike I felt for Rachel, I was truly happy for my brother. He was, after all, marrying the love of his life.

"Thankyou" He muttered.

"Mark, why were you hesitating in telling me this? YOu want this, right?" I said, worried.

I mean seriously, who breaks the news of his marriage with such lack of excitement and enthusiasm? I really wanted to make sure that he was doing this out of his own will rather than of compulsion.

"Yeah i guess. Anyway, I'm gonna come over day after for a day and we'll talk then okay?" he said.

"Hmmm... bye!" I said and hung up.

Mark really loved Rachel and she loved him too, so why did he hesitate so much? Maybe he was having second thoughts, or cold feet... this was pretty normal for his age, right?

With these thoughts in mind I laid back on the bed and kept shifting from side to side until sleep finally took over.

*****************************

Daniel's POV:

I drove home at an even faster speed than I'd driven to Melissa's earlier, and I felt so wasted, wothout even drinking this time!

Melissa seemed so contended to be with Ryan, and here I had been fooling myself that I really had a chance! I mean cmon, she obviously still liked him, and he liked her as well; I could see it from the way he looked at her.

But he had also made her cry, isnt it? She had been crying when she had come to me at the party, and I being the jerk that I am hadn't even bothered. 

The reason: I had drunk my a** off!

She would have really wanted to talk to me, right?

I pulled on my hair in confusion and laid down with the pillow on my head.

I guess I had knocked out for a good 4 hours straight and was thankfully had not been interrupted by mom. This had been a much needed sleep!

I checked my phone for any new messages or missed calls and my lips curled into a smile when I saw Melissa's missed call.

However, I didn't respond, reason still alien to me!

Sunday night and I had nothing to do, absolutely nothing. Mom was busy in prepairing some curriculum. I retrieved to my room and took out my sketching pad. It had been such a while since I had sketched. As soon as I picked up my pencil I spotted the canvas in the room and decided to make a portait instead. My hands automatically began to work on her hair, those brunnette locks which would fall on her shoulders almost naturally. Then I worked on those calm and reassuring blue eyes, which always seemed to see through me. Her lips, they tempted me too much for my liking, and when those lips would curve into a smile, I did everything I could to remember that moment in ym heart forever. Her high cheek bones with that little red blush made her look so cute and innocent. I had seen girls prettier than her, sure, but I had never seen anyone as beautiful as her. Ever.

I worked for the longest time ever, and finally satisfied with my work I went down to grab something to eat. I heated up some left over pasta and was onl about to start when the door bell rang.

I went over to the door and looked through the holw. I was taken aback and I laughed as I opened the door only to find my dad standing their with the hugest grin on his face.

"Hey there kid!" Dad said as he greeted me.

"Hey yourself! Surprise, eh?" I said.

"Been missing you too much for my own good lately." He said as I welcomed him in.

"Yeah, I miss the take-outs too!" I said and chuckled.

My dad was distracted by my mom who was now descending the stairs with hair sticking out everywhere and her eyes totally red from waking up suddenly.

But my dad still looked at her like she was the prettiest thing ever, and secretely, I adored him for that. I mean after everything that they've been through, all the fights and arguements, my dad was madly in love with her and he couldn't deny the fact. Not to me atleast.

Secretely, I always hoped that he would sweep my mom off her feet once again. He was my dad after all!

A smirk formed on my face as I thought of this but soon disappeared as I heard the angry tone of my mom's voice.

"Look who decided to show up!" She said, almost taunting like it would kill dad.

"Hey Jeniffer... it's so nice to see you." My dad said and moved forward to give her a small hug.

"How are you?" Mom asked. I could tell she had softened up a little.

"Fine, if that's what you want to hear." My dad said.

We proceeded to sit on the couch where mom and dad talked about things I was least bothered about. But after a while mom stood up and turned to retire to bed.

"I'm gonna sleep now. John, the guest room is all yours and Dan, dont be up too late okay?" She said and ascended the stairs.

"So bud, what's going on?" He asked.

"Stupid boring Sunday night which i spent in my room painting. Not too appealing for a seventeen year old guy, right?" I asked in a mocking tone.

"I havent heard the painting come up in a while... New inspiration?" He asked.

"Love was the inspiration" I said, without even realizing the weight of words that just left my mouth.

Love? So I loved Melissa?

"Woah! Love? Really? Tell me about it." My dad said as he laid on the couch and rested his head on the arm rest.

And hence began the tale of my love... My dad patiently listened with the occasional 'hmmms'...

"And you are just giving up?" He asked.

"What else am I supposed to do?" I asked.

"Are you mad? This is what we taught you? To give up on something you cannot go a day without thinking about? You love her you get her, alright? No matter how patient you have to be, how hard you have to try or how romantic you need to act." My dad said in the sternest tonne he could manage.

"SO you say I still have a chance?" I asked.

"Of course you do! Ryan is only a good friend, a friend she has met after over an year. Some emotions will come out. But you have nothing to lose, do you?" He assured me, smiling.

"Now son, I'm going to leave the talking to you and will retire to bed." He said.

Surprisingly he proceeded to go upstairs towards my mom;s room rather than the guest room. I noticed but thought it was for the best not to comment.

I took out my phone and decided to call Melissa.

I love her, I will get her. I thought and pressed 'call.'

She didn't pick but that didn't disappoint me. Probably because it was 12:30 and she must have been asleep.

But tomorrow, yes tomorrow I would ask her to go out with me, I decided.

I moved upstairs to my room only to find mum's room slightly ajar and Dad laying beside mom with his hand around her waste and mom snuggled to him.

A smile formed on my face as I made my way to my room and got ready to sleep.