Chapter 17

ELIZA'S POV

The sun seems prettier today than yesterday. Maybe it's just because my night was worse. Darkness makes light brighter. I sit in the lawn in front of the house and watch the sun rise over the trees in all its golden glory, letting golden light twirl around my fingertips for my own amusement.

I can't wait to tell all our friends about the baby. Steve is going to be so excited. Considering how much Thor shipped us early on, I think he'll be thrilled. And Bruce will probably have a heart attack, but in a good way, with Natasha bragging in the background that she knew from the beginning.

"You are so loved, little one," I say, placing a hand on my stomach, where there is the smallest, easily concealable bump. "All your aunts and uncles are going to spoil you rotten."

"Eliza!" Loki yells, coming down the steps quickly.

"What's wrong?" I ask worriedly. He looks me over. Checking for injuries, I realize. I touch his cheek, getting him to focus on me.

"Nothing, I just woke up and you weren't there." I watch the panic slowly fade from his green eyes. My calming energy flows from my hand into his mind.

"Don't worry. I'm safe. We both are. Good morning, by the way," I say, giving him a peck on the cheek. He smiles and embraces me.

"And how are my two favorite girls today?" He asks nonchalantly. My eyes widen, and so do his.

"A girl?" He seems as shocked as I am by his statement. "How do you know we're having a girl?"

"It just... came out," Loki sputters. "I didn't even mean to. I just sensed her magic. It's feminine, more delicate and soft."

"So... the baby is a girl?" He nods, a slow smile spreading on his face. "Loki, we're having a girl!" I scream, jumping into his arms and throwing my arms around him. "Nat's going to be so excited! And you're going to be outnumbered!"

"Yes." He sighs dramatically. "But you will have competition, my dear. She will be my littlest sol."

"I thought that nickname was mine," I say, fake pouting.

"Love, you will have to get used to my attention being on another as well," he teases. "Let's tell them tomorrow. Then we have one more day for the secret to be just ours."

"Okay," I agree. "Can we go eat breakfast?"

"Yes," he laughs. "Let's go in."

We spend the morning trying to sort through the massive piles in the spare room, which proves to be difficult, considering we basically stashed any extra items from the last five years in there. There are old biology essays, pictures from Stanford, and random daggers laying around. By midday, we've barely put a dent in it. I find something in the closet that makes me stop in my tracks. I put it on.

"Loki!" I say in my most seductive voice. He turns to see me demurely batting my eyelashes from underneath his golden helmet. He's trying to hold back a laugh, but he decides to play along.

"You look ravishing," he whispers, tracing my jawline with his finger. Shivers involuntarily run down my spine. He tilts my chin up and our noses are inches apart when we both burst into uncontrollable laughter. I barely hear the doorbell ring through our racket.

"I'll get it!" I volunteer before Loki can try to escape. I sprint down the stairs and open the door, shocked by who I find there.

"Hey Eliza," Steve says, giving me a slight wave. They look at me oddly. My eyes widen as I take in the person in between him and Nat.