Chapter 9

ELIZA'S POV

"Hey, Pepper," I say from the doorframe. She glances away from a sleeping Tony and smiles.

"Hi. Come on in," she says, gesturing to the seat next to her. "Where's everyone else?"

"They're Thanos-hunting."

"Good." The fierceness in her tone makes me smile. "And you're not with them?"

"I got vetoed," I say, shrugging.

"You don't sound that disappointed," she points out. I consider this. I wanted to go to help everyone, not because I actually wanted to go.

"I don't like the idea of being back in space," I admit, glancing down at my hands.

"That's nothing to be ashamed of, especially after what you've been through. If I have anything to say about it, Tony is never leaving Earth ever again. Which means he's never leaving Earth ever again." I look at him, peaceful for once in sleep. Tony deserves some rest.

"Where's Clint?" I'm surprised I haven't seen him yet, and I know he didn't get snapped. She sighs.

"We don't know. We know he survived, but his family didn't. That's about it." I try to control the inflow of tears that spring to my eyes, but a few escape anyway. Laura, Lila, Cooper, Nathaniel- all gone. And Clint, one of my best friends mixed with father figure is gone, too, but in a different way. "I meant to thank you."

"For what?"

"Before he knocked himself out, Tony said he was stabbed, but you healed him. He's alive because of you."

"I- we helped each other," I say, unsure of how to respond. "He was surprisingly good company, and he took care of me while I was sick."

"That's funny, you know. Your husband is surprisingly good company, too," she says, smiling.

I crack a grin. "I think that's the first time someone had ever said that to me."

"I think we get along because he understood what I was going through," she says, fiddling with her golden engagement band. It's a habit we share. "We thought you both were dead. It was terrifying. You have memorials and everything."

"Really?" I ask, intrigued. "Where?"

"Outside, on the outskirts of the compound," she replies.

"I'm think I'm gonna go check those out," I say, standing. "You'll be okay?"

She nods. "I'll see you later."

"Call me when he wakes up, okay?" I want to talk to Tony as soon as possible.

"Okay, Eliza," she says, smiling. I take one last look at Tony before leaving the room.

——————-

I forgot how pretty this compound is. Today, the sun is shining, late August flowers blooming, and the trees provide just the right amount of shade. I shove my hands in my jean pockets and walk down the trail until I finally find what I'm looking for. I read each one by one.

Anthony Edward Stark
"The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."

James Buchanan Barnes
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men."

Eliza Rey Odindottir
"How far that little candle throws its beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world."

I take a minute to pause at my own stone. The quote. I recognize it instantly as Shakespeare. Loki must have picked it. I smile a bit and move on.

Stephen Vincent Strange
"Death is what gives life meaning. To know your days are numbered and your time is short."

Wanda Annika Maximoff
"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death."

Samuel Thomas Wilson
"I realized what a true friend was. Someone who would always love you - the imperfect you, the confused you, the wrong you - because that is what people are supposed to do."

Peter Benjamin Parker
"Some are bound to die young. By dying young a person stays young in people's memory. If he burns brightly before he dies, his brightness shines for all."

There are more, but this last one brings tears to my eyes, and I crouch down to put my hand on the stone. "I'm sorry, Pete," I whisper, closing my eyes for a moment. Then I get up and continue walking, ignoring my emotions.

—————

A few hours later, I'm nervously flicking through pages of a biology book when Loki's magic signature enters my radar. I can sense him a few feet away from the door. He's bothered by something, so I choose to stay on the couch and wait for him to tell me himself.

He enters silently, sitting down next to me, then leans forward in concentration. I let him gather his thoughts before finally speaking.

"So, is he dead?"

He nods. "Thor did it."

"How?"

"Chopped off his head." There's no victory in my husband's voice.

"And the stones?"

"Destroyed," he whispers, putting his head in his hands. I run my fingers through his hair, letting a bit of my tranquility spread to him. "He used the stones to destroy the stones. So we could not undo his plan."

I take a deep breath, trying to hide my shock. "Oh," I say softly. "Is anyone hurt?"

"No."

"This is all my fault," I whisper, tears filling my eyes. He lifts his head and turns to me, clearly upset.

"Why would you say that?"

"Because Stephen sacrificed the stone to save Tony and me. He sacrificed millions for two people. If I had just died..." I take in a shuddering breath, trying to control my emotions. "They would all be here."

"Goodness, love, don't think like that," he says, pulling me closer.

"But it's true!" I protest while sobbing. "He looked into the future and gave away that stupid stone!"

"He looked into the future?" Loki asks. His eyebrows crease in concentration. "Did he say anything?"

"I- yeah. He said it was the only way," I say. "But we must have blown that one out of fourteen million chance, because we lost!"

"Eliza, whatever Strange did, he had a reason. We must respect that. What matters is here and now. I'm just glad to have you back with me."

"I missed you too," I whisper. He wipes stray tears from my cheeks. "But-"

"No buts. What's past is past. It cannot be undone. Those who survived will have to learn to live with that."

"Loki?" I ask timidly.

"Yes?"

"I want to go home," I whisper plaintively, like a child.

"So do I."

"I don't want it to be like last time, though. I want to be able to see everyone and not be completely isolated."

"Anything for you, darling."

"When can we go?" I ask, fiddling with a string on my shirt.

"Whenever you'd like. What about tomorrow?"

"That sounds perfect. I miss home." Just imagining being back at the little cottage full of books, love, and memories makes me feel better.

"Me too."

We end up falling asleep on the couch, still wrapped in each other's arms.

Hi! Soon we're headed to what I like to call "part two" of Endgame, aka five years later. I have a lot of big plans I can't wait to share with you all!