Chapter 8- It's Called Negotiation

                Date: Tuesday, April 25, 1967

                Time: 11:13PM

                MICHAEL'S POV

"Oops... I'm sorry I didn't know, Kayla. But you know what? I forgot my birthday last year, so... We can both not know we're eight, together. Right?" I flashed a cheeky grin.

"Righty-O," she replied half-heartedly. Sighing, she said, "I still can't believe everyone forgot, and it's been nearly two weeks since it passed!"

I shrugged, trying to make her feel better. "You know, Kayla... I have leftover candy corn from six months ago. Do ya want some?" I waggled my eyebrows in a goofy way.

Stifling a chuckled, she replied, "I think I'll pass."

"But don't ya want some when we get back to my place? Come on, it's tasty!"

Kayla shook her head, trying to stop herself from grinning. "No, no! I'm fine! I sort of want to go home, though. What is Joseph doing out there, calling someone at this hour?"

I peered over at Joseph, who was in a telephone booth about twenty feet away from the Buick. He seemed to be having some sort of serious talk with someone. I, for one, was not too overjoyed at him. The rule around the house is only 5 minutes to a phone conversation. He was going over ten minutes now! And ten was more than five! I knew that because of math!

I crossed my arms, grumbling under my breath. "Big old meanie Joseph has to have an exception, because he's soooo special!"

Kayla knew exactly what I was thinking. "Stop," she half-snapped, half-joked, "you're going to get frown lines if you keep that up, you know? I can already see them starting to appear on your forehead. Right... there!" she bopped the spot between my eyebrows a little forcefully.

I rubbed the area she poked. "I don't feel anything now," I said, full of sarcasm. I blew her a raspberry, my tongue barely sticking out. I felt so clever!

"Well, of course you can't now!" she retorted, grinning. "You're smiling!"

I beamed, just to get on her nerves. "Na-na-na, and you can't do anything about it!"

Jermaine joined the fun. "But Mike," he said, his voice full of feigned concern, "she's right! I can see a line already forming right where she said! My gosh, it's huge!" He giggled in a girly tone.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head at the same time. "Okay," I said, my voice oozing with smart-alec-ness. I turned away, pretending to look out of the car mirror. "You'll see one day... You will pay back, just watch!"

Tito lightly shoved me, joining in on the fun. "Aww, you better listen to your elders, Mike! You know what they say, right? When you don't-"

All of us heard a muffled shout of joy coming from behind the car. We all stoped in our tracks and looked behind. There was Joseph, as gleeful as he could possibly be. He jumped once or twice and ounched the air, as if he could conquer anything. 

He looked as though he had just won the lottery.

All of my brothers, Milford, Kayla, ad I exchanged odd glances. Now, what could have made Joseph so happy as to jump up and down and dance and do all of this crazy stuff? In fact, what was he doing in that phone booth? Was he in some top-secret thing-ah-mah-jig that I always see in cartoons on Saturdays?

After a couple minutes, Joseph hopped back into the car and drove off, fidgeting in his place. No one said anything at first. In fact, we could have probably heard a pin drop in the car, if it wasn't for the noisy engine and bumpy roads. The swerves didn't help the matter much, either.

Finally, as we all approached our house, Marlon finally came to ask what his littled 'episode' was about.

"Daddy- I meant Joseph, I'm sorry- why were you so excited a few minutes ago? You looked like we just became thousand-aires, or something of the sort and matter."

Joseph raised one eyebrow at Marlon. I'll bet he was thinking the same thing as me. What are thousand-aires? He sure looked like he was. But, a couple seconds later, his facial expressions relaxed and he caledm down enough to tell us whatever the heck happened over the phone.

"Okay," he said, trying to focus on he road and we kids at the same time, "It took us a while, but I finally got something together for us!" He heaved a couple times before going on. "Let's see... I made a few phone calls to different companies and such... we have some big things coming up. First, we have the Apollo event. I've gotten us to go to Uptown Theatre for a show, and Regal for another. However, those two aren't going to be for a while, maybe a year. Plus, I'm trying to get more worked out soon. Uptown may offer a couple shows."

There were murmurs of mixed emotions across the Buick. I didn't know what to think, at first. Of course, I was happy to do these shows. In fact, I ejoyed them very much. Throroughly, even. But what was gonna happen? Was he talking about fame? Were we gonna be famous? Did this mean I could get those awesome patented-leather shoes of Jackie Wilson's that I admired so much? Could I?

I finally uttered my first sentence. "Does this mean I can get the Jackie Wilson-type shoes? You know, the something-leather shoes of the kind?"

Joseph never answered my question. Of course, he may have been too excited for it all. He sure was happy, that's for sure!

"Well, Joseph," Kayla said, her eyes darting across the car roof. "How did you get these competitions? We aren't THAT famous, are we?"

Joseph sighed, shaking hi head. "It's called negotiation, Kayla," he explained. "It's what we professionals do."

Kayla narrowed her eyes, as if to question what he just said. However, she didn't peep a word. In a sense, I was glad about that. Sometimes Kayla's mouth could get us in trouble. Yes, she was my best friend, but she could be... opinionated.

The car stopped abruptly, sending all of us in the back lurching forward. Joseph hopped out of the car just as he came in, and dashed in the house. I supposed that he was telling Mommy what happened.

It was nice seeing him so happy. It was so rare, that it was almost like a luxury.

Could luxury be headed our way?