Chapter 6- Keep Your Skirt Up

                Date: Monday, March 3, 1967

                Time: 6:23AM

                KAYLA'S POV

"Kayla!"

Frowning, I faced the closed door to my bedroom and yelled at him. "YES?!?!"

"School... Um, you do know what time it is, right?" Elijah sounded tired.

"Yes, I'm well aware of the time!" I shrieked. I suddenly heard a noise come from my bed. Startled, I jumped back, unaware of what may be in the covers. And then... my Grandma poked her head up from the covers and gave me a dazed look.

I had completely forgotten that she had taken my bed last night. Actually, to be entirely honest, I forgot she was here. She told me last week that she would be heading back to Michigan the next day. I even helped pack her bags, because I thought it would be the nice thing to do.

However, the days passed, and she was still not back in Michigan. It was last night, actually, when I was bathing Baby Ash, Elijah told me that she was going to have an 'extended stay.' I was fine with it for the most part, but I sort of liked the privacy of my own bedroom.

Well, I can't have everything I want. 

On the bright side of this situation, Grandma had seen that my clothes were way too small for me, and she bought me a couple skirts. However, she sort of guessed my size, so everything was two sizes too big. She simply told me that I could grow into it.

I chose to take one of the skirts today and pput it on. I figured that maybe, if I tucked my shirt and jacket in, the skirt would stay up. It seemed like a pretty good idea to me, at least.

After dressing myself, I dashed out of my bedroom and took some mashed bananas out for Charles. While he enjoyed himself, I gathered last night's homework and shouted a sudden goodbye! to everyone. After that, I was out of the front door.

The second after I exited the front door, I found myself in my underwear. My skirt had slipped off. 

Blushing, I dragged it back up my legs, hoping no one noticed. After that, I took my jacket off and tied it around my waist, so that no one would notice my problem. I may have been chilly, but at least I wasn't embarrassed.

I met up with Jermaine and Michael, who were waiting for me. Jermaine waved at me, as if to say hello, while Michael gave me this cheeky grin. I pounced off to them- and felt it slipping again.

I hastily pulled my jacket up in an effort to not look stupid. As my teeth chattered, I asked, "Are we ready for school today?"

Michael gave me an odd look. "Are you okay, Kayla? You seem to be freezing." He eyed me up and down, as if I were small.

Actually, I was pretty tiny, so he had a legitimate reason.

"N-no, I'm fine," I replied as casually as I could. I fought myself, trying not to wrap my arms around my body. Gosh, I must be an idiot.

Jermaine gave me the same strange look, but said nothing about it. Instead, he saked, "Are you gonna walk...?"

"Oh! Haha, yes I am!" I responded, taking one large step ahead. It was then that I realized I sounded like a total dummy. I could have slapped myself. If Tito were here, I'm sure he would have mentioned something.

When all three of us approached the school, Jermaine broke away from Michael and I without peeping a sound. We both intently watched as he sashayed into his seventh grade classroom.

Out of the blue, Michael whispered to me, "Jermaine sometimes picks on the girls like that, you know? He walks funny, like all the girls."

I shot him a strange look. "Do you mean, he sways his hips?"

Michael, still looking ahead, nodded. "Yeah, that's what he does... Sorta like what you do."

I just stared at Michael for the longest time. I honestly had no comeback for that. It was true; all girls had this way of walking. He was just pointing it out. There was really no denying it. So, as a result, I gawked at him.

A couple moments later, he noticed what I was doing. He stared at me in return. "What is it? Do I have chocolate on my face?"

In a situation like this, giggling was inevitable. I laughed so hard that I was about to fall to the floor-and it wasn't even as funny as I thought it was. 

"You're easily entertained, aren't you?" he questioned, smirking at me. I weakly nodded as I picked myself up. "It-" I hiccuped- "I mean, yes, I do-" hic.

He chuckled a bit, turning in the direction of our classroom. He snatched my wrist and quickly turned me around, nearly exposing my underwear once again. I grunted just a little, trying to get him to stop. Once he did, I resituated my problem and caught up with him.

When he gave me a funny look, I shrugged- very awkwardly, that is. I sort of looked as disoriented as Jeremy could be at times.

All of a sudden, Michael burst into a giggling fit. His little chortles were very high-pitched, and contagious. It was about two seconds before I joined his laughter. 

After our little 'fit,' we slowly walked into Mrs. Parker's classroom, pretending as though nothing happened. We took our seats and stared straight ahead, as though we just arrived to class late.

But, when no one was looking at either of us... we snuck a peek at each other. We both had the same expression on our faces- wide, cheeky grins.

                ***A/N: Entirely unnecessary chapter, of course... I was just fooling around and thought the idea was cute.