Chapter 18- Stepping Stones

*****

                Chapter 18- Stepping Stones

                Date: Wednesday, August 30, 1967

                Time: 3:47PM

                MICHAEL'S POV

"How about we try doing a couple scales?" Tito suggested. "I'm sure that Joe wouldn't mind if we practiced ahead of time. Hey, he may even praise us!" His eyes glowed with possibility.

Jackie spoke up, keeping his eyes on his tambourine and polishing rag. "I doubt he'll directly praise us. He may bring the donuts earlier than planned, but he won't tell us that we're doing well. But sure, we may as well make use of our time. I have no where to go." He stared aimlessly for a second. "No where to go, no friends to hang out with, no girl to take for a ride, no nothing."

"C'mon, Jackie! Are you still upset over having no girlfriend?" Rebbie asked, a smirk on her face. "Please! I was sixteen before I started dating Nathaniel."

"I'm sixteen," he replied, narrowing his eyes. "By the way, you really aren't allowed to date him. You know how much Joseph detests having the two of you together."

"You know what, Jackie? I honestly don't care. I do half of the chores around this house, and I'm not about to just go without someone. Nathaniel, at the end of the day, is my best friend. With all of my responsibilities, it's nice having someone around to ease up the load. That is all I could ask for." She crossed her arms defiantly.

"Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh," Marlon teased. "Lovebirds!" He pranced around in his designated spot in our 'assembly'.

"Shut up, Marlon!" she threatened, holding up a spatula. "I don't have to make you supper." 

"Um," Kayla said out of nowhere. Jermaine and I stared in her direction for about three seconds, and refocused ourselves on the debate that was just about to go down into a full-on brawl.

Just before Rebbie could fling her spatula across he room to pelt someone in the face, we heard our front door creak open. Everyone turned their tentative heed to the front door. There stood Joseph, his chest heaving. He panted, vacantly gaping at Janet, who was taking a few steps on the couch. 

"What is it?" Kayla asked semi-patiently. "We were just about to do a couple scales ahead of time."

"And you didn't?" Joseph questioned. We all shook our heads very slowly and reluctantly.

He didn't seem to mind my unnecessary remark all that much. In fact, he brushed my comment off entirely, for he went off-topic. "I have something for you," he told us, a never-present sparkle twinkling in his eye. He promenaded to his customary position and pulled out a stack of yellowing papers from his bag. We all watched with our undivided attention as he skimmed through the papers, divided them into seven even piles, and set them down. "Jermaine," was all he said.

Jermaine strolled to Joseph, one hand in his pocket. "Yes, Joseph?" he inquired, eyeing the old papers. "What is this?"

"Just take a stack," Joseph blankly replied, indirectly staring at the coffee table. Jermaine clutched onto a pile slowly, and tiptoed back to his position even slower. As he turned around, his face twisted into a curious expression.

"Kayla," Joseph said next, his gaze now focusing on another stack of papers. She hopped off of her piano bench and quickly snatched a pile. As she passed, her expression changed from content to wary. She muttered under her breath, "Feels like papyrus," whatever that was.