Chapter 19- The Gary Type Of Professional

                Date: Tuesday, November 6, 1967

                Time: 4:02PM

                KAYLA'S POV

"Boy, isn't this exciting?!" Marlon asked, squirming in his spot in the Buick. "We're going to a record company! We are going to record our voices and sell them! We're going to become famous soon!" He made a toothy grin, holding his hands together.

"I know," I added, "I can barely contain myself! This is going to be exhilarating! We're going to be in a real recording studio, recording real music! We're going to be real artists! Why, we could be like Gladys Knight and the Pips, or the Spinners. Yeah, famous..."

A thought crossed my mind at the same instance. What is a recording studio doing in a town like Gary? Gary is baby sized, compared to Detroit. I squinted my eyes, deep in thought. I wonder just how big this recording studio is, anyways... I haven't heard of it. There's Epic, Motown, Atlantic... Why haven't I heard of this? 

"Wouldn't it be amazing to be in Motown?" Michael chirped. "Everyone loves Motown, there's no doubt about it... Everyone! The whites, the blacks, the young, the old, the boys and girls... We all love it because we can all relate. Isn't it beautiful how music can do that?"

"Wow, Michael," I said, slightly awe-stricken, "That was pretty deep."

"Thank you," he replied, not entirely knowing what I was talking about. "But how do you feel about Motown? I think it's really the best record company out there. We've got all the greats there, you know? No one can resist the Temptations or Jackie Wilson... or the Supremes." A sly grin played on his face.

"Ooooh!" Tito teased. "Does someone like Miss Ross? Does Mikey like Miss Diana Ross here?"

"Hey, you do, too! What about all of those magazine covers that you goggle at? All of the ones with the Supremes and Natalie Wood, and God forbid you see another Marilyn Monroe picture!" Jermaine crossed his arms.

"Hey, don't say anything about Marilyn Monroe!" he retorted, his eyes twinkling angrily.

"You mean, Norma Jean Baker. Only real fans know her real name," I responded, a smug expression on my face. "Her name was Norma Jean Baker."

"We all know that, Kayla!" Jackie fought. "We were just... okay, fine! I didn't know it, but I'm sure that Tito did." Naturally, Tito nodded his head in complete agreement, scooching himself closer to Jackie's seat.

I straightened my posture and crossed my arms obstinately. "Fine, I was just making a point. I didn't want you all to get upset." I fake sniffled for extra effect.

Everyone knew what I was doing, of course. In fact, Jermaine giggled, playing along with me. "Yeah, you guys! Be nice!" He sniffled loudly, taking my side. Michael and I grinned, not sure of what to say next.

Before I could get any more words in, the Buick came to a very sudden stop, throwing all six of us forward a few feet. I quickly rebounded and sat myself up. When I peeked my head over the edge of the pickup truck, I saw an unimpressive-looking building reminiscent of Mister Lucky's. There were block letters over the front entrance, spelling out 'STEELTOWN RECORD CO.' One of the E's in 'Steeltown' was missing, and half of the shingles on the roof were gone. 

The place was obviously in need of renovation.

Joseph hopped out of his car seat. "Are you all ready to head inside?" he asked, his eyes wide with a hint of hope. He rocked himself back and forth on his toes.