n i n e

josephine, two years ago;
i finished work late because charlie wasn't well and had to leave early. i offered to take his shift, ill do anything to delay going home.. i wouldn't even call it home. it's the place i sleep, get beaten up by my "boyfriend" and then come to work. i've tried asking for help.. i've tried signalling that i'm not okay but no one listens.. or no one cares. i like to think that they don't notice so to distract myself from the fact that no one actually cares and no one wants to know.
i open the door to the big house that i am living in with my "boyfriend".
he's standing outside the living room, which is right by the front door.
"why're you home late?" jackson questions as i take my coat off.
he has something in his hand and i can't quite figure out what it is.. it looks like a cricket bat.
"i covered for charlie, he wasn't feeling too well" i mumble.
"you what?" jackson shouts.
"you're cheating on me."
"i'm not" i argue.
"why do you have a cricket bat your hand?" i ask him.
i'm scared, really scared. i hope that he doesn't use it on me, he's already burnt my back with his lighter, i had to sit there while he had fire to my back.. burning me. i couldn't run, the doors were locked. i couldn't scream, he had my mouth taped shut.
he told me that if i ran or made a noise, he'd kill me.
i'm scared, he scares me. he terrifies me.
"don't question me" he states.
"i'm sorry"
he whacks me with the bat and i fall onto the floor.
i hear him say; "it's not a cricket bat you dumb bitch.. it's a baseball bat"