Chapter Forty: The Blue Cross Code.

(Nephele)

Today, I decided, would be a good one. When I woke and traveled downstairs, I was not met by the usual hoard of Insurgo outside my door, wanting answers or problems solved. Instead, only a handful of men were there to greet me, and it was purely to inform me they were heading out hunting.

I stretched as far as I could, waking up all my aching bones and grinning at the slowly filling up street. I hadn't slept so well in a long time, but it amazed me how even now, I was still tired. A few Insurgo caught sight of me and waved, or a said hello or good morning. Da, today would be a good day.

From across the street, Kassandra gave me a grin before hurrying off, no doubt to find Lexio. A moment after she was gone Dimitri appeared and came running over the moment he spotted me. "Good morning," he said, pulling me into a hug. "I was missing you last night."

I shrugged, "really? I had a lovely night sleep." 

I felt him slump. "Great way to kill the mood, Nephele." 

I laughed and turned to face him, "I was kidding, you know that right?" And I was; I had missed him last night, but I wasn't about to admit that for all to hear. Dimitri smiled and leaned in for a kiss. All was well at first, but just as he got close I caught sight of Lexio and turned my head to the side so his lips landed on my cheek. 

"What did you do that for-" Dimitri caught sight of Lexio as well. "Oh," he said, "that's why." Lexio however, although pretending that Dimitri wasn't even there, gave me a friendly smile and a wink before strolling off with Aranea scuttling behind him. "That kid is such a creep," said Dimitri. 

I elbowed him in the stomach softly. "Be nice. At least Lexio is trying." Dimitri just groaned and let me go. "Now, if you don't mind I have-"

"Wait," Dimitri interjected, "have you thought anymore about..." he trailed off, but when his eyes drifted to my house I knew exactly what he was referring to. Recently, he'd been asking if we could move in together - it was a big step, and although it made sense, what with the lack of living space for new Insurgo, it was such a commitment that I still had my reservations. 

"I have," I said honestly, "but I don't know yet. It's a huge commitment." 

Disappointment flickered across his face, but he regained himself and smiled. "Well, keep thinking about it; it's something I think we should do. We'd be happy, I know it." 

I pecked his cheek and Dimitri went on his way, leaving me to find Imara. He had woken up hours and hours before me and gone off for a jog. As I continued to wander through camp, I noticed Lyra up and walking around without Felix. I had to do a double take, but she seemed fine and I watched as she spoke to a few of the men I was sure she'd never seen before. 

It occurred to me then Lyra had never met half the people I'd come to trust the most in this camp. Her time with Dimitri was limited anyway, but she'd never met Elanor and Angus. I realised her relationships with the people who were practically helping me run this camp had no standing ground. They barely even knew her. 

Feeling the need to rectify this issue as soon as I could, I strode down the road to where I knew Allissa slept and knocked on the door. I'd barely taken my hand away when the door was flung open and an angry-looking Allissa, with messed-up hair and a gun pointed at my face, was snarling at me from the entrance. 

"What?" She hissed. 

"Wake up," I said, having learnt to ignore her daring gestures and responses. "I have a job for you to do."

She aimed the gun at me for a little longer before yawning and dropping it on the floor, uncaring as to whether it was loaded or not. "I'm tired," she said, "and Conan isn't even up yet, so go away."