Chapter Twenty Four: The Great Escape

(Nephele)

I had never seen a loved one had their heart ripped out, but it wasn't something for the faint-hearted. To see someone I cared for literally want to die, not caring, not thinking and barely breathing it really puts a different perspective on things, especially when the one that did this was someone I trusted... Someone like my own mother.

'Nephele.' Imara's voice dragged me from my internal monologue. 'We have to go; I don't think Lyra will be able to cope in here much longer.'

I looked up at her and realised he was right. She was nestled on Imara's back, but she was going insane. Her eyes kept darting about the room as though she was waiting for someone to jump out and snatch Dolosus from her arms once again. Every slight noise from either the machines or myself would cause her to clutch the limp ball of fluff to her chest and start to mutter to it.

"It's okay, Dolosus," she would say. "I'm here... I won't leave you... not now, not ever..." Her tears would start to fall. "Please come back to me; I cant live without you... I...I'm nothing ...please Dolosus!" Her voice would break. "I'm dying without you."

We were about to leave, but as I scanned the room again, I noticed the security camera in the corner and I cursed under my breath. 'Imara, you take her out of here and wait for me outside the city walls with Felix, Allissa and Dimitri. I'll meet you.'

'No way,' he growled, glaring at me. 'I am not leaving you here with these monsters.'

'Imara!' I shouted. 'I don't have time to argue this matter with you! Now take Lyra and get out.'

'I won't do that Nephele, I cant!'

'If you trust me you'll go,' I said, no longer looking at him. It was horrible of me to say that, but I had things to do here and I would not risk him or Lyra. After a few seconds I felt him jog past me, too upset and torn to even say goodbye. I watched him leave down the hall, making sure he was definitely gone.

When I was satisfied I turned back to the crime scene. I just had this feeling that I wasn't done here, that the rescue wasn't complete and I think it was because I was leaving behind evidence... everything we had said was on tape and I couldn't have them keeping hold of that. I walked back over to where my mothe- to where Marissa was slumped against a corner and couldn't fight the surge of disgust that was inside me when I looked down at her. She was a mess - a twisted, poisonous mess - and I had her blood. 

As I glared down at her, I noticed that her hair was positioned differently. She had a fringe cut so that it completely covered her right eye. I frowned; she'd never had that before and it made me curious. So, with a fair amount of caution, I bent down and brushed it out of the way, smiling at what I found there. 

Her entire left eye was missing. Granted, it had been expertly sewn up and there was no longer any blood, but the scratch marks were clearly the work of Dolosus and the missing eyeball suited her. It made her look ugly. Not as ugly as she was inside, but it was starting to become a reflection. I scoffed, "Nice job, Dolosus. I like to think you enjoyed that."

'Indeed,' an unfamiliar voice rang in my head. It wasn't deep and resounding like Imara's; it was drenched in sarcasm and cynicism, but was still definitely male.  Startled, I turned around, finding myself face-to-face with none other than Dolosus. I completely froze and stared at him with my mouth wide open. Was I crazy? Had I lost my mind? I was sure it was him; I knew those eyes anywhere, but... It couldn't be him; he was dead. I saw it myself... and this Dolosus, although he looked identical, he was like a mist; translucent and somewhat see through. 

"Dolosus?" I asked, feeling like a stupid three-year-old.

'Yes, I would assume that's rather obvious.' Irritation was quite evident in his voice. I didn't say anything; I didn't even move. 'If I might make a suggestion, close your mouth,' he added. 'It is rather unbecoming of an Insurgo.'