Chapter 28: Amazingly Safe

.28.

‘I cannot explain how amazing it is to touch you.’

‘Stacy!’ Charlotte laughed.

‘That sounded really creepy didn’t it?’

She nodded still laughing at her friend, ‘I get what you mean though, I can’t believe you’re right here sitting in my bedroom.’

Stacy clasped her hands together in excitement practically wriggling in her seat, ‘You have no idea how much I missed talking to you, not being able to call or text you when the smallest things happen has been so hard. Even tiny ridiculous things that only you and I get a kick out of.’

Charlotte nodded in agreement, ‘Not having someone to talk to who knew the full story and wasn’t my mother, was really hard for me too.’

‘Oh man, I’m sorry,’ Stacy’s eyes widened. ‘I’m going on and on about how hard it was for me and it must have been a thousand times worse for you. Being in a completely new town, with no one to talk to and psycho Mr Gold after you, you definitely win.’

‘No point talking about it now everything’s over…’ She trailed off shrugging at Stacy. ‘As hard as it is to believe, he’s in jail and can’t hurt me.’ She had to say that out loud a few times for it to really sink in. No more running.

Stacy shook her head, ‘Where he belongs!’

‘And now we can talk on the phone!’ Charlotte giggled. ‘And visit on weekends, and go back to knowing every stupid little details about each others lives.’

‘Oh so I haven’t been replaced?’ Stacy pouted, but Charlotte knew she was messing. ‘What about this April I’ve heard a little about? And Max and Eli?’

She couldn’t help the slight blush that coloured her cheeks as Eli’s name was mentioned. It was like the three letters thrown together made her body physically react that way, every damn time! Of course Stacy picks up on it immediately, her face spreading into a huge grin.

‘Eli’s the boyfriend now I take it?’

‘No way!’ She shook her head. ‘Well… no. Um, well to start with he kind of saved my life.’

‘Alright, so you’re going to have to elaborate on that one,’ Stacy raised an eyebrow.

‘I’ve told you the short version of what happened when Mr Gold showed up here and kidnapped me, it was Eli and Max who guessed where he had me. They broke me free and helped me escape out of Winchester Heights.’ She paused remembering the night and how it felt to collapse into her mother’s arms. ‘They were amazing.’

Stacy whistled low under her breath, ‘So you at least owe him some thanks-for-saving-my-life-sex.’

Charlotte burst out laughing and whacked her friend on the arm, ‘Stacy!’

“I’m joking! Relax,’ she smirked. ‘So what are you guys though?’

‘We’ve kissed a couple of times, that’s all really,’ Charlotte shrugged. ‘We didn’t really get along at first, and then we did.’ She rolled her eyes at the memory. ‘He asked me out too.’ She shrugged and let out a small smile. ‘April and Polly were convinced he was into me from the start, I guess things evolved from there…’

‘And I’m guessing you like him too?’

‘Um, well yeah I guess so.’ She laughed. ‘He was amazing with all the drama going on Stace, he made me feel calm in a situation where I’d normally be freaking out.’

‘Where anyone would be freaking out,’ Stacy pointed out.

‘He has a bit of a reputation around here though, for sleeping around.’