Chapter 7: Distracting Shirts... Or lack there of

C H A P T E R  ( 7 )

'Honey you look terrible,' Grace said to her daughter that afternoon as she plopped down at the kitchen counter with a huge sigh.

'I feel terrible,' she complained.

'Didn't you sleep well? You went to bed quite early,' Grace frowned in confusion.

Charlotte bit her lip, 'Oh you know... those dreams again...'

'Oh baby,' Grace leant over giving her daughter a warm hug.

'I actually dozed off in class today and woke up crying!' Charlotte groaned. 'I was so embarrassed Mum you have no idea!'

'What happened in the dream?'

Charlotte shook her head feeling a shiver down her spine, 'I don't want to go through it again.'

'You know what the counsellor said,' Grace prompted gently. 'It will help you to talk about it so you don't fear it.'

'Well it was as though the dream picked up where I left it last,' she began closing her eyes at the memory so brilliant in her mind. 'I had just fallen in the woods and my leg was trapped under that branch. I knew he was close behind me, the feeling of absolute terror was engulfing me... and then he crouches down next to me and starts talking to me.'

Grace looked at her daughter trying to keep a blank face, it always hurt to see how he affected her daughter. What was worse were the dreams were all based off experience. Charlotte went through all this, alone.

'He was getting angry at me, he couldn't understand why we were running from him,' Charlotte felt tears well up in her eyes again.

'It's okay baby,' Grace hugged her daughter again. 'That's enough for today, why don't I make you a hot chocolate?'

Charlotte sniffled and nodded sinking lower in her seat. She just wanted it all to stop.

'So let's change the subject,' Grace busied herself in the kitchen. 'Work is going really well we actually have a wedding booking. Believe it or not, they haven't had one in six months. The bride came in today and had a look through some of my past weddings. She booked us on the spot.'

Charlotte grinned, 'Mum that's amazing, well done.'

'It really is,' she beamed. 'She wants the works too, a beautiful fairy tale wedding. Apparently her family are something quite big here in Winchester. Tell you what, why don't you help me with some idea boards this week? We'll set some up in your room, and if you come across anything, you know the drill. Pin it up, cut it out, stick it down,' Grace grinned in excitement.

Charlotte found herself nodding enthusiastically, she loved what her mother did for a living. She enjoyed placing looks and ideas together, anything crafty and arty was definitely her style.

'So how weird was it that Chuck dropped by last night?' Charlotte took the hot chocolate off her mother and sipped it carefully. 'He always goes on about how dangerous it is for him to be seen with us and then he just drops by for dinner?'

Grace turned to the fridge, putting away the milk slowly. 'Well yes I suppose, I'm not sure why he came over. But it was a nice surprise wasn't it?'

Charlotte shrugged and smirked, 'For you maybe. What time did he leave anyway? Or did he stay over?'

Grace rolled her eyes, 'Oh you're full of attitude now aren't you.'

Charlotte giggled away as her mother turned to clear away the kitchen bench. She loved teasing Grace, she took the bait so easily.