Chapter 4: A surprising visitor

C H A P T E R  ( 4 )

'You have some serious explaining to do,' Grace greeted her daughter as she came home from her first day of school.

'Don't you want to know how it went?' Charlotte asked sounding hopeful. 'If I made friends or what my teachers are like?'

Grace looked slightly conflicted, but her hard exterior came back out, 'No, I want you to understand how important it is that you don't skip school. If you're not at school, no one will know where you are. I don't want to scare you honey, but if he found us... found you... no one would have known where you were.'

Charlotte's face softened, she knew she'd made a huge mistake. She didn't want to upset her mother.

'Charlotte, baby seriously now. You're not one to break the rules, were you even thinking before you decided to do this?'

'No I really wasn't, I'm sorry. I can't believe you called Chuck though,' her eyes were wide. 'He must have been so mad.'

Grace let a small smile slip, 'He was a bit... You know how he likes us to use the local police and try and not get him involved.... unless it's necessary. But I was just so worried after everything that's happened.'

'So, did he ask you out?' She asked cheekily picking up on the slight blush is Grace's cheeks at the mention of their favourite detective. 

Grace flushed a deep red and shook her head, 'Charlotte!' She scolded. 'Don't be so silly, and stop trying to deflect from what you did.'

'I'm not deflecting at all, oh by the way I have to show you this amazing place Max showed me...'

'You mean while you were skipping school?' Grace frowned, interrupting her daughter.

Charlotte blushed and nodded.

'Yoohoo? Hello?'

They exchanged amused glances at the sound of Jody's voice carrying through the open window by the front door. She was definitely becoming that nosy neighbour.

Grace went to the front door and Charlotte watched as her mother came back into the kitchen with an excitable Jody, followed by a sheepish looking Max. Charlotte couldn't help the giggle at Max as he flinched away from Jody's glares.

'What do you have to say Max?' Jody demanded of her son.

Max looked up at Grace awkwardly, 'I'm so sorry for convincing Charlotte to skip school this morning, it was wrong of me and I shouldn't have encouraged it...'

Jody glared at him shaking her head, 'I'm so sorry Grace, Max is such a bad influence sometimes. Don't worry I'll punish him accordingly.'

'Oh no,' Grace protested and Charlotte knew she was feeling sorry for him too. 'It was just as much Charlotte don't be silly. I'm glad they're getting along so well to be honest and that Charlotte has a friend.'

'Mum!' Charlotte gasped as Max let out a chuckle.

'Oh Charlotte, you know what I mean,' Grace rolled her eyes and turned to Jody muttering 'teenagers'.

'Before this gets any more embarrassing, do you want to go upstairs?' Charlotte turned to Max while their mothers began making coffee.

Max nodded his head gratefully and took the stairs two at a time in front of her, waiting at the top pulling a strained face. 'How awkward, it looks like our Mum's are friends now. We'll be forced to hang out,' he joked.

Charlotte laughed, 'It's not too bad, I though for sure I'd be grounded but you guys interrupted before she could say anything. Now hopefully she'll forget.'