Chapter 27: Bathroom Doorways and other stuff

27

Charlotte heard the familiar doorbell echo throughout the mansion. She stood on the front step, balancing on the balls of her feet almost ready to turn and leg it down the long driveway. She would be lying if she said she wasn’t feeling pretty anxious about seeing all her friends for the first time in two weeks.

The door swung open and she saw the side of Eli’s head, the shocking black messy hair she’d found herself smiling at one more than one occasion. He was looking over his shoulder into the house laughing at something someone was doing behind him, swinging around his eyes settled on Charlotte. The smile slowly slipped off his face, but his eyes still had that sparkle of interest behind them.

‘Well hello stranger,’ he leant against the doorframe, his stare sweeping over her from head to toe and Charlotte felt a familiar shiver under his gaze.

‘Hey there,’ she took a deep breath.

It had been two weeks since she’d seen Eli or even spoken to him. She wasn’t sure how her just rocking up on his doorstep would be received. The last thing she remembered was waiting in anticipation for Chuck to return with the news, and her and Eli sitting on the living room couch all cleaned up after their showers. Charlotte was shivering, not because she was cold but maybe from the horror of the last twelve hours of her life.

She remembered Grace peering out the window, her shoulders sinking in relief, ‘He’s back.’ She raced toward the front door pulling it open and the blue and red lights poured into the hallway illuminating it, and Grace’s face caught the lights making her look a little freaky.

Chuck had reached out for Grace trying to pull her into a hug but she pushed him back shaking her head, ‘Did you catch him? I need to know.’

Chuck nodded, his eyes seeking Charlotte out on the couch. ‘We have him. He’s been taken to the local station under strict surveillance. You’re safe.’

Charlotte’s shoulders sagged in relief and she could feel the tears streaming down her face as she rushed over to her mother into a tight hug.

‘Thank you,’ she remembered whispering to Chuck as he enveloped his two girls in his arms. His own relief apparent in his body language as he squeezed them tighter.

They hadn’t noticed Eli, Max and Joyce slipping out the front door, they were too busy putting the last eight months of their life to rest.

‘How are you holding up?’ Eli frowned slightly at her. ‘Is everything sorted out with… you know?’

‘Um, yeah I guess so,’ Charlotte nodded slowly. ‘We spent the last two weeks at the police station giving statements and then giving some more statements.’ She let out a nervous chuckle. ‘But he’s in jail.’

‘You spent two weeks at a police station?’

‘Well not the whole two weeks, Chuck took Mum and I away for a little while too. Just to take a breather from everything.’

Eli’s eyes widened slightly, ‘Oh right.’

‘I’m sorry I didn’t text or call Eli,’ Charlotte felt terrible. ‘It was just so messed up, and when he was finally caught there was so much we needed to sort out as a family.’

‘Please don’t apologise Char,’ Eli’s hand reached out to her and snapped back awkwardly as though he thought better of it. He wasn’t big on affection, and to be honest didn’t really know when and what was appropriate for these kinds of situations.

‘Charlotte?’ April appeared in the doorway shoving Eli to the side giggling as he whacked into the frame. ‘I’m so glad you could make it!’