Chapter 14: A tantalising Apology

C H A P T E R  ( 1 4 )

'What's wrong Ellie?' Ellie heard her friend's voice in the back of her mind but didn't react. Her gaze was fixated on the man across the street from them.

'What's he doing here?' Ellie asked, and she couldn't help the scared undertone in her voice.

Stacy reached out for her hand squeezing it lightly, she followed Ellie's gaze to the familiar man across the street. He was waving at the girls and waiting to cross the road. They stood still, not quite sure how to react. They were after all in a public place, there were people milling about all around them. He couldn't very well do or say anything, could he?

'Hi sweetheart,' he smiled at Ellie warmly when he reached them. He spared a small glance at Stacy, 'Hello Stacy.' When both girls stayed silent he spoke again, 'I've been calling you, what's wrong why don't you answer my calls anymore?'

'You're not allowed to be calling her,' Stacy said nervously.

'This doesn't concern you Stacy, in fact can you give us a moment?'

Stacy shook her head and gripped her friend's hand tightly, 'No way, you need to leave before I call the police.'

His face went from open, smiling and friendly to hard in a matter of seconds, 'Don't even think about it.'

The girls took a slight step backwards. Thankfully Stacy's mother pulled up to the curb next to them. He took one look at the car and immediately walked off into the direction of the crowded mall. The girls climbed in quickly and gratefully, trying to dodge her mother's questions on whom that man was.

Ellie tactfully avoided Stacy for the rest of the afternoon, eventually skipping out on their sleepover plans to head home early. She walked quickly through the streets, making sure the sun was still out as she headed home. She couldn't shake the feeling he was still around, still watching her. She picked up the pace, arriving onto her street breathing a sigh of relief. Almost there. But just as she rounded the corner, reaching the house the flashing blue and red caught her eye. Ellie was horrified to spot three police cars parked outside her house, there were people milling on her front lawn and some serious looking faces. She raced toward the house frantically fearing the worst.

'Hey little lady, slow down,' a gentle, deep voice caught her by the shoulders firmly.

She looked up at the tall, dark and broad man standing in front of her who smiled at her kindly. 'Ellie is it?'

She nodded tearfully.

'My name is Chuck, you need to listen very carefully to me now... Can you do that?'

++++++++++

Charlotte jolted awake with a scream. She couldn't help it, and she sat up rigid in her bed breathing heavily. No doubt the alcohol from that night helped her nightmares along. What she didn't expect when her bedroom door opened was a semi naked Chuck to fly into the room waving a gun.

'What? What happened?' His voice was loud as he scanned the room.

'Chuck!' She screamed even louder. 'What are you doing? Oh my God!'

'Chuck put that away,' Grace appeared next to him looking horrified. 'Charlotte, sweetie, it's ok it was just a dream.' She moved to her daughters bed rubbing her back soothingly. 'She has these nightmares every so often,' Grace explained to Chuck as Charlotte tried to wipe her tears away inconspicuously. 'They stopped for a while but ever since we moved in here they've started back full force, haven't they?'