thirty six

Esme sat on one of the chairs at her kitchen table, watching as the clock ticked by, making the girl feel even more hurt with every moment that passed

At 8:00, Esme pushed the chair back, standing up and letting the chair screech as it moved.

She inhaled a shaky breath, walking upstairs and allowing herself to collapse on the bed in floods of tears.

Her eyes began to sting due to the mascara flowing heavily as it meshed with the salty tears that cascaded down her red face.

She walked over to her mirror, grabbing a makeup wipe and removing all her makeup from her face, still sobbing heavily.

She pulled her dress off and changed into a pair of tartan shorts and a black top, leaving the dress to hang on the chair.

She felt herself begin to cry again but only muffled cries could be heard due to the fact that her face was in a pillow.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang but Esme didn't bother to answer it, she was too humiliated and upset to face anyone at that moment.

The front door opened and someone walked in. Usually, Esme would freak out but she just allowed it, not caring who it was as her main focus was on the boy who stood her up.

Her bedroom door opened and she felt her bed dip, making her look up and frown.

She bit her lip when she saw James sat at the end of her bed, a shy smile on his face and his curly hair had clearly been styled to look more fluffy.

James moved closer to her and immediately pulled Esme in for a tight hug as she sobbed into his chest, loud and broken.

"Why are you here?"

Esme looked up at James as he smiled at her, his hands still entangled in de curly hair, feeling the hairspray that she'd applied.

"Erin rang me" He replied "She said that Nate was at the prom with another girl"

"Right" Esme whimpered "But what about your creep convention?"

"Okay, it's not a creep convention" The curly haired boy smiled "And it's not important".

James hand moved down from her hair to Esme's hand, fiddling with her rings and intertwining their fingers.

"Throw on a dress, gorgeous" James smiled "We're going to a party"

Esme smiled, watching adoringly as James walked out of the room to wait for her downstairs, a cheeky smile plastered on his face.

Esme walked over to her cupboard, grabbing the peach dress and throwing it over her body, feeling much more natural than she ever did before.

She walked over to her mirror, applying much more minimal makeup, deciding that she didn't have time for a dramatic look.

She walked down the steps and James grinned, staring at the beautiful girl who stood in front of him.