thirty

All of the students were filled into the hall, as Jenny and her friends sang one of their songs that they'd written themselves, clearly very proud of their work

"It's Monday morning, It's Monday morning. Hip hip hooray. Hip hip hooray. Let's get going. It's a brand-new day"

Esme scowled, glancing around the hall to see if anyone else was actually enjoying the musical performance but everyone just looked confused.

"It's Monday morning It's Monday morning. Come on, let's go. Come on, let's go. Paint on a smile and start the show. Dum dum dum dum-m-m"

Esme glanced at James, quickly looking away as soon as he glanced at her, desperate to avoid eye contact.

"Oh, Monday morning. There ain't nothing that I-I-I can't do. Doo bee doo bee doo, On Monday morning. Oh, Monday morning. Monday morning Monday morning"

"I love yo-o-ou"

Jenny shakily held the last note for longer than she should've, making everyone feel uncomfortable.

Sister Michael stated at Jenny in disgust as the girls stepped back, the sound of silence instead of applause seeming not to be a problem to them.

"Lovely" Sister Michael said "And I believe you wrote the lyrics yourselves. Is that correct?"

"It is indeed, Sister" Jenny grinned

"Do you ever think you might have too much time on your hands, girls?" The nun asked "Lose the jackets".

Jenny and her friends walked off the stage, their heads hanging low to display their disappointment.

"OK, just a couple of things" Sister Michael said "Firstly, I'd like to introduce Mae Cheung. Can you make yourself known, please, Mae?"

Behind the group, a girl raised her hands, as everyone's eyes fell on her.

"Miss Cheung's family have recently moved here to Derry so I hope you'll all make her feel very welcome" Sister Michael informed everyone "It's bound to be a bit of a culture shock, Mae. See, things are done differently in this part of the world. But I'm sure you'll soon feel as at home here as you did back in your beloved Donegal"

Mae nodded, her face holding a blank expression.

"Announcement from Jenny Joyce and the dance committee" Sister Michael red from her paper "The school social event of the year is fast approaching, but before you don your glad rags and boogie on dow-"

The nun stopped reading, glaring at the students that stood to the side of her.

"I'm sorry but I simply cannot read this" Sister Michael said.

Jenny nodded, grabbing the sheet of paper and walking over to the microphone stand, smiling brightly.

"But before you don your glad rags and boogie on down, we'd like to let you in on our little secret" Jenny said "We're not actually going to have a school formal this year"