twenty two

Esme walked out of her house, feeling like her head was going to explode as she walked along the street towards where she was meeting Clare, Erin and Orla

The girls smiled at her as they made their way to the bus stop, chattering amongst themselves about how excited they were for their english lesson that day, whilst Clare complained about how "poorly" she was feeling.

"So, what's going on with you and James, then?" Erin asked

"Excuse me?" Esme frowned

"Come on" Erin said "You're both all over each other, I wouldn't be surprised if you've kissed"

Esme blushed, looking down at the floor to avoid eye contact with her friend who's face had morphed into complete shock.

"Sweet Jesus" Erin muttered "When?"

"When we were walking back after your ma kicked us out" Esme said "It just sort of happened"

"So, are you two a thing now?" Erin asked

"No" Esme shook her head "We like each other but we don't wanna rush into anything, you know?"

The girls arrived at the bus stop and smiled when they saw James and Michelle.

"Oi!" Michelle shouted "Esme!"

"Yeah?" Esme frowned

"You kissed James?" Michelle asked

"Michelle" James whined "I told you that in private"

"Shut up, english prick" Michelle snarled

"Yeah, we kissed" Esme shrugged

"Good on ya" Michelle smirked "But i'm surprised you'd stoop that low"

The group chuckled as James smiled shyly at Esme, looking down at the ground as he awkwardly scratched the back of his neck.

The group walked into their english classroom, confusion displayed on their faces when they saw Sister Michael rubbing out Miss De Brun's handwriting from the board.

"Take a seat, please, ladies" Sister Michael instructed

"Where's Miss De Brun?" Erin asked

"Gone" Sister Michael replied "And she's not coming back"

"What?" Erin asked.

Suddenly, Clare began to hyperventilate, her body began to shake as she rapidly shook her head.

"I knew it" Clare said "When I woke up this morning, I had a feeling something terrible was going to happen and also that essentially deep down, I'm quite an evil person"

"It's called a hangover, Clare" Michelle said "You'll be grand"

Sister Michael rolled her eyes, frowning at the students who had failed to follow her simple instructions of sitting down.