eleven

The group were stood outside, chattering amongst themselves as Esme stood with James, listening as Joe gave spoke to him

"He give you the Intrepid, did he?" Joe asked "That's his second best tent, you know?"

Esme smirked at James, making the boy chuckle slightly, the nerves creeping up at him.

"I'll tell you what, son, I'm putting you in charge, OK?" Joe grinned

"Oh, please don't" James said "Please don't put me in charge of it"

"You'll be all right" Joe nodded.

Mary walked over to the group, sighing slightly at the large amount of people.

"Right, there's too many of us for one car" Mary said "Some of you will have to go with me da"

"Can I? Can I?" Michelle begged "Cos Joe drives really fast. He, like, runs through red lights and takes corners on two wheels"

"It's class!" Erin said "It really is"

"I think I'll hop in with Mr Quinn, if that's OK" James said

"Me too!" Clare and Esme said

"I'll go with me da" Sarah said "He lets me smoke"

Mary turned around, staring at Sarah with wide eyes.

"You're coming?" She asked "What about the grave danger we're putting ourselves in?"

"Well, it's a concern, but so is the fact that I have nothing in for me Sunday dinner" Sarah said

-

Esme sat in the car, squished in between James and Clare. Gerry and Mary were in the front, with the baby on Mary's lap.

"I think what's happened here is, now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your father has just driven through a police barricade" Gerry said angrily

"Well, it's done now" Mary said

"Oh, that's true" Gerry said "It's probably not even that big a deal if you ignore the fact that Orangemen are circling us as though we're their fucking prey!"

Esme could feel herself becoming more and more stressed and so she discreetly grabbed James' hand, squeezing it tightly.

James smiled softly at her, pulling her head towards him and kissing it gently, before resting his head on hers as she rested her head on his chest.