Didn't Mean It - Chapter 2

**1 Week Later**

I sat on my couch watching TV with Jared waiting for my brother and the boys to get there for us all to enjoy supper together. He acted so calm in front of my mother. Like he would never hurt me or be mad at me. I actually would believe it too.

I heard the front door of my house open and I heard my brothers voice. “Hello?” He called as he walked into our home. I got up from the couch and ran over to hug him.

“Josh, you’re home!” I said wrapping my arms around him and embracing him in a hug.

“Hey Ashley! How have you been?” He asked me.

“I’ve been good. This is my boyfriend, Jared, by the way.” I said pointing to him as he was leaning up against the wall.

“Hello. I’m Josh.” He said with a little wave. “You remember the boys right?” He asked me and I noticed the rest of them were standing behind him in my foyer.

“Yeah. Hi guys.” I said with a smile. I noticed Jared tensed up when I said hello to them and I knew I would be feeling my friendly greeting later.

A little while later we all sat down for dinner together at our dining room table. Jared sat next to me and my brother sat on the other side. I stayed silent listening to the conversation around me, fearing if I said the wrong thing I’d upset my boyfriend.

“Are you boys excited to tour this summer?” My mother asked the boys.

“So excited.” Niall said.

“Yeah, we can’t wait to perform for the fans again. There’s nothing like touring.” Liam added in. I felt my heart stop at the sound of his voice. I had always had a crush on him since my brother had first introduced us, but I kept it a secret. With my relationship, I could never be the one to end it. I looked down at my plate of food and suddenly didn’t feel hungry anymore.

“How much longer do you have till your tour starts?” My mother asked.

“About two weeks.” Harry said with a cheeky smile. I zoned out for the rest of the conversation. After dinner, I assisted my mother with cleaning the dishes while Jared chatted with my brother and the boys.

“You should go see your brother. He won’t be here for long. I’ll finish cleaning up.” My mother said to me.

“No it’s fine.” I didn’t want to risk saying the wrong thing.

“No really. Go. It’s fine.” My mother insisted and I agreed. I walked into our living room where my brother sat with the boys and Jared.

“Ashley.” My brother called from where he sat on the couch starring at the TV at a rugby game. “Come sit here.” He said motioning to the seat between him and Liam. He knew I had a crush on Liam and would do anything in his power to make it obvious.

“Fine.” I said walking over and plopping myself down on the couch. I refused to make eye contact with Jared knowing the looks he was giving me from across the room.

“So how’s school?” Josh asked me when I sat down next to him.

“It’s good” I said.

“Do you like your classes?” He asked me. 

“Yeah they’re fine.” My answers were vague and I could feel Jared’s eyes beating on me from across the room.

“You seem upset are you alright?” Josh asked me.

“Woooh!!!” Harry scream jumping up. I looked at the TV to see that one of the teams just scored.

“Where’d you get that?” Josh asked me pointing to my leg. The skirt from my uniform went up a little and large black and blue and purple bruise was revealed on my leg. My heart stopped as I feared the worst.

“I fell.” I lied. “I’ve always been clumsy.” You could tell my words weren’t the truth but Josh wasn’t going to fight my words just yet. Jared left a couple minutes later because the air in the room became awkward. I felt my phone vibrate and I looked down to see a message from Jared. ‘Meet me at the park in 10 minutes.’ I sighed knowing I’d better leave now.

“I have to go.” I said standing up and heading for the door. I pulled on my ballet flats and went to turn the knob.

“Is everything all right?” I jumped at the sound of Liam’s voice.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t it be?” I asked nervously.

“I don’t know. I just don’t think that bruise on your leg came from a fall. I stayed silent as my heart beat picked up and I nervously looked at the ground. “Does he hit you?” Liam asked me.

“Promise you won’t tell Josh.” I said looking up at him with tear filled eyes.

“This is serious. You need to end things.” He said to me approaching me slowly and cautiously.

“I can’t. He’ll kill me.” I said as a tear spilt over my eye.

“He’s not going to hurt you if I have anything to do with it.” He said wrapping me in a hug in his arms. It was the first time in a long time that I felt safe. “Where are you going though?” He asked me.

“To the park.” I said pulling away from him.

“Why?” He asked me.

“To see Jared.” I said looking at my phone for a split second to see that I’d better hurry to get to the park.

“Why would you do that?” He asked me. “After tonight he’s going to hurt you.” 

“I don’t have a choice. I’ll be back soon. I have to go.” I said opening the door and rushing out into the warm June air I rushed down the street till I got to the park. I saw him sitting on the swings looking down at his phone. He looked up as I approached him.

“Took you long enough.” He said annoyed. “Were you too busy cheating on me?” He asked. I immediately felt guilty for even being around the boys for that long.

“No I was just-” He cut me off.

“Do you fucking love me?” He yelled. The park was empty and I knew what was coming next. He shoved me and I fell back. He kicked me in the side of my stomach and I winced in pain.

“Get the fuck off her.” I heard someone yell as my eyes began to shut and I felt my body begin to fill with pain.

“Who’s going to stop me? She’s mine and I can do whatever I want to her.” Jared yelled back. I had my eyes shut when I felt someone’s hand touch my face. I slowly opened them to see Josh kneeling over me.

“You didn’t fall did you?” He asked and I shook my head.