Chp. 31 Drums of War

Author’s Note: Well, here it is my pets. I don’t quite know what to do with myself after this.

Yes, that’s right. This is the last update for part one of Faith is Stronger. Two chapters and it is done for now. But!

A new book shall be posted on October 10. I am certain you will love it!

Vote, comment, and enjoy. Listen to the songs on the side, lyrics are important! <3

I personally thank each and every one of you who have read and commented and supported the book in any way. You are all a gem and I wish you all many years full of magic and happiness.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………….

“If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.” – Emily Brontë

I leaned against the wall, hidden slightly behind the pillar that held the flickering candles.

“Jacky?” I move forward as Seamus and Dean come into view. I smile hesitantly at them, knowing I looked a mess. My eyes are swollen and my cheeks hopelessly tearstained. My nose could put Rudolph to shame.

“Darling, what’s wrong?” Seamus rushes forward and pulls me into a hug. I let him, grateful for his warmth. Dean joins in, patting my back.

“I confronted him about it. We had a fight. End of story.” I sniffle. He pulls back and I see that he had already guessed. Dean looks slightly confused but lets it go.

“I’m sorry, Jacky. Listen, we saw a few Order members wandering around. Neville’s given the order to go higher up. Susan and Hannah are up on the sixth floor and we were heading to the fifth. Wanna come?” I nod and, together, we move silently to the stairs. I stop for a moment and brandish out my wand.

“Expecto Patronum” I whisper. The horse bursts from my wand, flickering a bit before finally settling down into the shape of the four-legged animal. Seamus and Dean gasp in surprise while I feel another tear slipping its way out; I wipe it away quickly.

“If he could produce one, I’m betting it’d be a wolf, huh?” Seamus murmurs. I shrug, not wanting to think about it too much. It still wasn’t too late. Maybe I could seal the entrance and stun him and take him to the Order?

No, I could never physically hurt him. I’d chicken out. I just wanted to protect him and this school. How could I do both while not hurting the other? I grip my wand tightly in my hand, gazing at the wolf’s knowing eyes and silently give my hope to it.

“Knowing my luck? Yes”

“Find Lupin and Tonks. Tell them that Death Eaters will be entering the castle soon tonight. Get reinforcement.” It ran off, its tail streaming behind it. We begin walking again.

“How are you so sure?” Dean asks as we trudge our way up the steps. I shrug, thinking quickly. On either side of us, the portraits are waking up, sensing the impending danger to Hogwarts.

“I have Seer blood?” I joke. He laughs before he and Seamus get into a small debate about soccer vs. Quidditch. We are just rounding the first corridor of the fifth floor when we hear shouts above. I lift my wand and look back at the boys. They are ready as well.

“It’s beginning. Let’s go.” We sprint off, taking several secret passageways and coming out right into the middle of the battle. Death Eater masks glint everywhere, at least twenty of them. I see Order members flitting around, along with some teachers. My warning had been received in time then. We fling ourselves into the bellum. I spot Neville and Ron fighting against three and join them.

“Protego! Reducto!” I shout, aiming for the middle of the enemy. They get blown off their feet and I turn to Ron questioningly.

“He got the drop on us. Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder— Rictumsempra! — and we ran into the Order and then into this mess.” He explains quickly. I nod and we split up. I join Hermione and Luna in their fight and fill them in while we fight Dolohov.

“Help!” I look over to see Hannah being cornered by Greyback.

“Aculeum maxima!” I shout, aiming it right where the sun don’t shine. A painfully bright flash of light struck him, causing a high-pitched yelp to shoot out of him. He turns around, allowing Hannah to scurry away and join Ginny in a fight against two death eaters.

“You will pay, fleshling!” He snarls, stalking towards me. I ready my wand and begin cast silently.

Melofors! Dissiliunt! The pumpkin that forms around his head at my first curse suddenly explodes, blinding him with its contents.

“Stupefy!” I scream. He resounds back in the wall, falling dazed to the ground.

“Spatha!” I hear a muffled shout behind; my entire left side hissing as razor thin cuts appear down it. I growl under my breath and groan in pain, turning to retaliate, fighting furiously. The eyes behind the mask glittered maliciously.

“Entomorphis!” I shout at the death eater. They claw at their legs as they transfigure into the bottom half of a giant slug.

“Petrificus Totalus” I finish him off and dive back into the battle. I hear more screams and see Snape running through the entrance to the Astronomy Tower. I turn back to help Neville, but he was already hit and unconscious. I pull him off to the side, making sure he was not perniciously injured before looking around. The Death Eaters are losing.

I spot Greyback up again, clawing mercilessly at someone. I rush to them, noticing the bright red hair. Ron?! Ginny!?

“Pulices! (Fleas) Get away from them!” I cry, firing more hexes and jinxes, raining pain upon him. He howls at me and sprints into the fight. I go to the person, and almost cry when I see their wounds. Red claws up my vision as the power surges through me; I was losing control. Focus Jacky; he needs your help right now.

“Bill!” I almost sob. I kneel next to him and point at his wounds.

“Tergeo” I say repeatedly, trying to get the blood to stop.

“Sana Vulnus” I try, but it was no use. These are cursed. I go to pick him up when I hear someone running up behind me.

“Expulso!” I scream in pain as I hit the far wall, having been blown off my feet. I cradle my arm and wince. I look up to see a mass of Death Eaters running past, Draco and Snape included. I gasp as I see Harry running after. Where did he come from? He curses Greyback; finally knocking him out. I get up and run after them, noticing Seamus just ahead of me. Wait, how did he get…oh never mind!

I gasp in breath painfully as my wounds throb in protest to my running. I glance around quickly as we pass the Hufflepuffs and sprint out to the grounds. I can see Snape fighting Harry and the slightly obscured figure of Draco sneaking around to circle behind him.

Then Snape is strutting away, unaware that Draco is still there. My heart beats ominously as Harry turns to Draco, his green-eyes glinting horribly with hatred and pain. In the back of my mind, I note that Seamus is just behind him. I see Harry raising his wand, ready to form a curse.

Instinctively, horrifyingly, I know the words that are about to be spoken. Words that will crush my entire world. My heart beats out a war drums pace, my limbs filling with undeniable strength. A ceaseless roar echoes within me, the courage of a tiger pulsing throughout my body.

They say that time slows down in that minute before the climax. That you notice every detail and think a million memories in just that last moment. I did not. I put on one last burst of speed, using that strength and call out his name, leaping in front of Draco and meeting his panicked, wide eyes. Without pausing, without letting my mind bring forth those lifetime of memories, I press my lips to his one last time, reveling in the sparks and the taste and the vibrant life that I gain from them as the curse leaves my best friend’s mouth and hits me instead of him.

Avada Kedavra!”

And then it’s gone. I’m gone.