Chapter 17

Chapter 17

(Jace)

“Okay Jace, I’ve looked over the test results. There is nothing physically wrong with her ears. Everything regarding her deafness is in her mind. Whatever happened on that plane was traumatic enough for her mind to block off her hearing. She has to find a way to hear again, there’s nothing I can do for her. I’m sorry Jace, I am so sorry,” the doctor said, putting his hand on my shoulder in sympathy. My breath hitched in my throat and I choked on nothing but air, fighting back tears. My poor Lily.

“Well thank you for trying doctor. You did what you could, thank you for your time.” I replied briskly, taking Lily gently by the arm and leading her carefully out of the room. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I glanced at Lily to see her shoving her phone haphazardly into her back pocket with one arm. She glanced at me and then at my jacket pocket.

‘Well? Do I get to know what's going now Jace?!’ I laughed and held up my index finger, telling her to wait a second until we could sit down. She huffed and crossed her arms but kept walking anyways. When we got outside I led her over to the side of the building facing the forest and sat her down on a rock. I pulled out my phone and started typing.

‘Lily… I don’t know how much you're gonna like this baby. There's nothing physically wrong with your ears. It’s your mind blocking your hearing. There’s nothing they can do, you have to undo this yourself :/ but I am here for you babygirl, all the way.’ I watched her face go from shock to complete utter sorrow as she read and my heart twisted painfully in my chest. I reached over and pulled her onto my lap when she put her phone away and hugged her with all I had. I would help her get through this.

‘What are we gonna do Jace? :’( This is awful…‘

‘I know babygirl, I know. We WILL get through this okay? I promise.’ She looked at her phone and smiled sadly. Turning to me, she held up her pinky to me. I smiled and linked our fingers, promising her everything would be okay. She lay herself down on my chest and played with my shirt for a few minutes and then, yes, fell asleep.

I sat there, watching her for a few minutes, playing with one long strand of her gorgeous blonde hair listening to the birds singing and the distant rumble of the freeway. Gravel crunched in the parking lot behind us, but I thought nothing of it, figuring it was probably a few staff members taking a lunch break, as it was around 1 in the afternoon.

“Ey, Who are jou and wut jou doin with da princess bro?” a guy’s voice asked behind me.

“Umm… I’m Jace, I’m her mate.”

“Oh you are now?” He asked. I nodded.

“Well, that gonna make this shit 10x harder than before, wont it now?” he asked smiling in a sick twisted way that scared me a little. I pulled Lily closer to me and gently shoot her so she would wake up. She opened her eyes and smiled that beautiful smile at me, making my heart melt.

“Well, ain’t that sweet?” he asked mockingly. I looked to him and growled. Lily looked to him and her eyes widened in fear, and then changed to blazing anger.

“EY BOYZ!!!” He shouted, cracking his knuckles, “She’s all yours.”

About 30-50 pairs of bright red eyes lit up the forest around us. Wolves, humans, it didn’t matter. We were surrounded. By an army. And they were after my mate.

“Good luck with that,” I thought, as the attack began.