Chapter 16

Chapter 16

(Jace)

“Jace…” Lily whimpered, clinging onto my arm.

“shh… its okay.” I said soothingly, stroking her hair softly.

“I’ve always been afraid of planes! I knew something bad would happen!” she whimpered, grabbing tighter onto me.

“Its okay Lily I’m here. Close your eyes and breathe. Do what the pilot said please baby,” I said, pulling the mask and inflatable raft out from under her seat and handing them to her.

I watched as she tied her hair up in a ponytail and put on the mask. Then she inhaled shakily and I entwined our hands to give her confidence. She smiled weakly at me and put her head down. Then I grabbed my mask and put it on one handed before laying my forehead on the raft in my lap.

*-*-*

(Lily)

As the shaking got harder, I gripped Jace’s hand until my knuckles turned white. I whimpered in fear, even though I knew I was immortal. But Jace isn’t…

My head shot up and I looked around for something sharp. I had to make him immortal in case we crashed! Spotting a pen at my feet, I snatched it up before it could roll away. I tapped jace on the shoulder until he sat up.

“Take your mask off, just trust me.” I ordered firmly. He did.

I lifted the pen about six inches above my wrist and slammed it down just enough so my blood flowed lazily from the tiny wound. Jace’s eyes got wide and he put his finger over it to try to stop the bleeding.

“Jace don’t! I know it sounds weird, but lick it, not only will you heal it but you will also become immortal due to my blood. I can’t lose you if we crash! Please Jace…” I begged in a frantic voice as the shaking reached a new extreme.

He looked at me gently and brought my wrist up to his mouth. He slowly did as I asked and licked all the blood from my wrist, as he did so, the skin started to close over the small wound. Jace smiled and kissed my wrist where the wound was a few seconds ago. Then he turned to me.

“Never ever ever do that again ok?! You scared me Lily!” he said, scoldingly.

“I’m sorry, I just didn’t wanna lose you!” I said looking away so fast I hit the back of my head on the window.

“oh Lily..”

Suddenly there was a hand on my chin turning my face back to Jace. I looked up to see him slowly moving in to kiss me. I watched as his eyes flitted closed and his lips parted slightly, curving up at the corners. My own eyes closed as he got closer and I leaned in too.

Our lips met in an explosion of sparks, igniting an inferno in my stomach. I pulled away first, feeling the overwhelming urge to just lay there in his arms. He smiled and kissed the top of my head as I lay it on his chest. I closed my eyes and just concentrated on breathing his woodsy scent as the plane continued to be thrown around like a rag doll, shaking my head around until I couldn't see or hear properly.

After a few minutes, it stopped. We weren’t shaking anymore. I cracked my eyes open and looked at Jace who seemed to be listening to something very intently.

I tried to say his name but it wouldn’t come out of my mouth. He looked at me anyways. He mouthed something to me but I couldn’t understand what he was saying. Again I tried to speak but my lips just moved soundlessly. He mouthed something again and I saw his lips form the words “oh no.” I wanted to scream, demand that he talk, tell me what was going on, why he wasn’t just talking, but when I tried, no sound came out of my mouth.

His brows wrinkled in concern and he brought his hands up by my left ear. He clapped twice but I couldn’t hear it. He did the same on the right, but no sound reached me. He looked really scared now.

I pulled out my phone and texted him since he apparently couldn’t talk.

What? What’s going on Jace?!’

A moment later I watched him pull out his phone. Then he began typing furiously. A few seconds after he put it down, my phone vibrated in my lap. I picked it up and read it impatiently.

‘Lily, can you hear anything? At all?’

‘No, why are you just mouthing things, why won’t you talk?’

‘Baby I am talking. You can’t hear me. The shaking must’ve damaged your ears! ;’(‘

Oh god. No, this wasn’t happening. No way was this happening!! I can’t hear.

*-*-*

(Jace)

The shaking stopped. We were safe!!!

The intercom crackled overhead and the pilot spoke, telling us we could remove out masks and put everything back under our seats. As he was speaking telling us that we are safe and its very unlikely it would happen again, Lily said my name from beside me. I looked to her smiling.

“I know, I’m glad too. Looks like you hurt yourself for nothing eh?” I said teasingly.

“What?” she questioned, wrinkling her eyebrows.

“You know, stabbing yourself with that pen. Looks like you didn’t need to.”

“What?!” she practically yelled.

“oh no,” I said, hoping that she was just messing with me, not that she couldn’t hear me.

“WHATS GOING ON?! WHY AREN’T YOU TALKIKNG?!” she screamed.

I lifted my hands and clapped loudly in her ear. She just blinked in confusion. I did it again in her right ear and still nothing. Oh no. No, please no. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it out to see a text from Lily.

What? What’s going on Jace?!’

 ‘Lily, can you hear anything? At all?’  I replied frantically.

‘No, why are you just mouthing things, why won’t you talk?’

‘Baby I am talking. You can’t hear me. The shaking must’ve damaged your ears!’ I replied, knowing at last that my worst fears had been confirmed.

My baby couldn’t hear. She can’t hear me say I love you, can’t hear me call her gorgeous. My baby girl is deaf.