Chapter 100: The Girl Who Said No to Heaven

Anne Halton

Petrus looks down at her, the girl tied to the bed.  Why won’t she embrace the light?

“Feel the light,” he says.  “Let its warmth encompass your soul.”

“Go fuck yourself,” Jess replies.

Why is she resisting? he thinks.  “I’m offering you peace.  I’m offering you bliss.”

“Let me go and I’ll find my own bliss.”

“You’re trapped in darkness,” he says.  “This world has been twisted by chaos.  I can show you the way to salvation.”

“I said no.” 

Petrus reaches out to touch her.  Somehow, she repels him.

He thinks about just killing her, but if she doesn’t find peace, her soul will only feed the chaos.  Once she finds the light, her soul will help to restore Heaven.  He will not let any more of this world’s energy turn to chaos. 

Sometimes, when people are very close, their souls have a way of rubbing off on each other a bit.  Jess’s soul is stained with my demonic energy.  Petrus has seen this before.  Although he cannot force peace upon Jess like most human beings, he knows that she can still find the light herself if she wants.

She struggles to try and free herself.  He looks into her eyes and tries to see her weakness.  Her fear shall lead her to peace.

“Stop that,” Jess says, closing her eyes.  She doesn’t want to have to look at Petrus anymore.

“Close your eyes if you want, I can still see into you.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“I am trying to save you.  Your life is impermanence.  You live for but a moment and then fade into nothingness.  All that you were gets torn apart in the chaos, used up and reduced again and again.  I’m offering you a chance to be more.  I’m offering you peace and bliss and eternity.  In your heart, you can feel this world is wrong.  Help me make it right.  Give in to the light.”

“No,” Jess says.  She knows that there are many things wrong with the world, but she has hope.  She thinks of me and knows that there are things in this world that she wants to hold onto.  She refuses to believe that the man who’s holding her hostage is offering her salvation, and so she closes her heart to him.

Petrus smiles.  He knows she will be hard to break, but there’s something about her that intrigues him.  He wants to understand her.  He wants to know why she’s resisting.  He wants to make her see the light.

Petrus’s plan is already in motion, but Jess is something unexpected, she is a new variable.  The plan may have to change.