Chapter 93: It's Not Over

Aaron Hart

It’s third period.  We’re all just sitting there watching our Math teacher try to figure out what she’s supposed to be saying to us after everything that’s happened.  She’s great at explaining algebra, but when it comes to talking about thoughts and feelings, she’s a little bit helpless.

All through class, I find myself haunted by Maggie’s words.  Maybe Day isn’t coming back.  Then I find myself feeling guilty for such a small worry in the face of all the loss around me.

Still, I need to talk to Day and hear his voice.  Everything is so broken.  Somehow, if he was there to hold me, it might not feel so bad.

My cell phone begins to ring.  Nobody says anything.  I don’t get the usual threats like, ‘turn it off or I’ll take it away.’  Parents are calling constantly to make sure their kids are alright.

I look at the caller ID, it’s Day.  I have a moment of anxiety, as if all the air had been sucked from the room leaving me with nothing to breathe while I decide what to do.  What if he’s calling to say goodbye?  I excuse myself and then go out into the hall to answer it.

“Are you alright?” Day asks.  He sounds flustered and worried.

“It’s a bit rough here at school.  Everyone is just trying to deal.”

“I’m sorry I couldn’t protect them.  I tried my best.”

“I know,” I say, truly believing it.

I can hear him breathing on the other end, trying to find the words he needs.  “I’m sorry,” he says again.

“It’s alright,” I tell him.  He sounds like he might cry.

“No, you don’t understand.  I’m sorry that this isn’t over yet.  Last night, a friend of mine,” he can’t quite finish the sentence.  The pain is too much for him.  “Aaron, something very bad is out there, and I’m afraid it might go after you.”

“Someone else is after me?  I thought this was over?  You said Legion is gone, and that it’s over,” I say, trying to keep my voice down.  Why can’t this be over?

“Aaron, listen to me.  I’m sorry, but I didn’t know he’d come back.  He’s an angel and he thinks you’re his friend, but he’s bad.  You need to stay away from him.  Do you understand?”

“Yeah,” I say, even though I don’t at all.  This has to be a nightmare.  None of this is real.  It can’t be real.

“I’m sending someone to pick you up.  They’ll bring you somewhere safe.  They should be there is 5 minutes.  You need to go to the front of the school and wait for them.”

I don’t answer.  I don’t know how to answer.  Evil angels, secret hiding places, so much blood everywhere.  I just want it all to stop.

“Aaron?” Day says again.

“Front of the school in five minutes, I understand.”

Day promises to send someone to pick up my mum and Maggie too. 

After a few more wordless moments, just listening to each other breathing, Day starts to speak again.  “I didn’t want it to be like this.  I thought if I could hide you, we could just be together and live a normal life for a little while.  I know you barely know me, but I know you.  And I don’t expect you to say it back to me, but I just have to say it right now.  I love you.”

He’s right, I barely know him.  I can’t say it to him yet.  But at the same time, hearing him say it to me feels so right.

When we were up against Legion, he was so confident.  I felt like he knew so much.  He had a plan and he was going to protect me.  Now, I can tell, he’s afraid.  He needs me to comfort him.

“I know it’s only been like a day, but I miss you.  When this is over, promise me you’ll come back, and we’ll pretend to be normal for a little bit longer.”

“I promise,” he says, making me wish I had the power to reach through the phone and seal that promise with a kiss.