Chapter 80: The Beginning of the End

Aaron Hart

The legend of the Sword of God doesn’t end with the great contradiction, but goes on to discuss the story of Adam and Eve.

Once the world of gray was formed, God decided to shape it into a paradise comparable to Heaven.  God tried to seal all the darkness and chaos into a single spot, a tree in the center of his new world.  Around that tree, was a garden God called Eden.

Eden was a perfect world.  Part of that perfect world were God’s newest children, Adam and Eve. 

Adam and Eve were free to do anything they wanted within the world of Eden so long as they stayed away from the tree of darkness.  Thinking Adam and Eve were perfect, God didn’t believe he needed create any barriers between his children and the tree.  But Adam and Eve weren’t perfect.

Satan snuck into the garden disguised as a snake.  As soon as he saw God’s newest children, he saw their flaws.  Like Satan, there was a part of humanity that wished to be more.

So Satan created a plan to tempt Adam and Eve to the tree of darkness.  Satan convinced God’s new children that the tree contained knowledge and understanding.  In many ways, this was true.  There was more to the universe than perfection.  There was darkness too.  In order to understand the other parts of existence, man needed to know the darkness.

Eventually, curiosity wore away at Adam and Eve and both succumbed to temptation.  They ate from the tree and God looked down at them in horror.

Of course, it was well within God’s power to undo the damage that the fruit of the tree had done, but that wasn’t the problem.  Adam and Eve never should have been tempted by Satan.  God saw that his children were flawed.

What happened next is often misunderstood.  Many people believe that Adam and Eve were cast out of Eden as a punishment, but that isn’t the case.

God rearranged the cosmos to create a new world, but God didn’t do this out of hatred or malice.

When Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge, God saw the truth.  Adam and Eve were not his children, but rather they were born of the contradiction.  But it was too late, God already loved them.  They were his and he wanted them to be happy. 

Eden was God’s paradise, constant and unchanging, it would never truly satisfy humanity. 

And so, as a gift, God created a new world with new potential in hopes that one day humanity would be able to create their own paradise.