Chapter 87: A Father's Pride

Anne Halton

Mike is lying down on the brown leather couch where Jess and I left him. 

There’s so much pain coursing through him.  The ecstasy is too much for his body, it’s too much for his soul.  He doesn’t know if he can handle it all. 

His mind is in a different state of being, but he can feel something.  There’s a hand on him.  Mike can recognize the energy.  Mike can feel him reaching inside and calming Mike’s energy.

“What are you doing here?” Mike asks.

“I’m helping you,” Algea says.

Mike can’t move.  He can’t get up.  He can’t run.  He can’t fight.  He’s helpless, but he wants to make Algea stop.

“You did well today,” Algea says.  “It’s too bad your little friend had to die.  I was so sure you were going to be the one to kill her.  In a way, I guess you were.  She was so pretty and she wanted you so badly.  Did her soul scream out in pain before she died?”

Mike doesn’t want to answer.  He misses her.  She was important to him.  Mike can’t let himself think about Justine.  He doesn’t want Algea to feel his pain. 

“Did she taste like strawberries in the end?” Algea asks.

She did.  Mike felt Justine’s agony resonate through the school before she died.  He tries to stop himself from hurting.  He closes his eyes and thinks about Justine finding peace in the end.  Heaven was always so important for her.  He hopes that she was able to achieve it.

Mike looks down and sees Algea’s hand on him.  Mike wants to knock it away.  “What are you doing to my body?” he asks, trying to change the subject.

“I’m just investigating.  I always knew that Legion was hoarding up all his pain for something.  I saw it, but I could never get to it myself.  And now it’s yours.  I’m proud of you.  I never agreed with how you chose to live your life, but you’ve made it work.  You’ve established yourself in the hierarchy.  You’re Kali’s confidant.  Now you’re more powerful than me.  You’ve done very well my little spawn.” 

“Fuck you,” Mike says.  He doesn’t need Algea’s validation.  Mike wants nothing to do with his twisted progenitor.

“But we need to talk,” Algea says.  He enjoys taunting Mike. “Your body’s changing,”

“If you’re here to talk to be about the birds and the bees, you’re a little late for puberty.”

 “No, you’re changing in a different way.  You absorbed all of Legion’s pain.  That has consequences.  Your power is now a hundred times greater than it’s ever been.  Soon your hunger will grow likewise.  In order to survive, you’ll need to eat more than ever before.  The ambient pain in the hospital won’t be enough for you anymore.”  Mike doesn’t answer.  He can feel the hunger growing in him already.  He knows that Algea is right.  Algea smirks, “I’m going to enjoy watching you suffer.”