Chapter 5: Cailley

© rainthereader 2012 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 5

Cailley

I felt his strong presence the moment he entered the room and I just…froze.

Then I heard that deep, compelling voice. It was like a thick cloak wrapping around my body, unexpectedly warming my insides.  Lizzie had been talking nonstop about his Uncle Luc since I arrived.  It was clear that she loved him like a father with the way she shared a number of admirable stories about him. 

Finally throwing my cowardice out the door, I slowly twirled my upper body around and was stunned to meet a pair of piercing, silver-grey eyes and a heart-stopping smile that I only saw for half a second before it rapidly disappeared from my sight.  A little worried inside, I tried to lighten the strange, tensed air between us and extended my hand. 

"Hi, I'm Cay. The new nanny."

Socializing with different people, men in particular, wasn’t really a Cay thing.  So me applying as a nanny, and luckily winning the position—this was me deciding to push the brave button once and for all and come out of my shell.  And I was extra lucky for having a really nice employer.  However, I wasn’t prepared for this.

I kept wishing that I didn't sound so awkward while I waited for him to shake my hand.  But the action never came. Instead, his eyebrows creased and his eyes closed hard, and when he opened them again, a glimpse of something marred those silver orbs.  Distaste?  Hostility?  I never had the opportunity to read more into them because he suddenly turned around and quickly left the room.

What was that all about? 

I was left with his niece to wonder why.  A soft tap on the shoulder interrupted my disconcerted thought and covering a frown that was sure on my face, I looked down at Lizzie.

“Uncle Luc must’ve forgotten something and ran to get it.”

I tried to give her an assuring smile.  “I guess so, sweetheart.”

“Hmm.  I wonder what it was… I hope it’s a gift for me.”  Jumping from the bed she walked to the right side of the room where colorful boxes filled with toys were located.

I couldn’t help the questions worming through my skin.  His reaction to me was a little bit over the top, as if he detested the fact that I was here.  Didn’t he approve of me as Lizzie's nanny?  Did he have a say with the decision but his sister hadn’t consulted him about me?  Was he considering another applicant?  Or…

Maybe he knew the truth?  That I wasn’t really a nanny.  No experience.  No real family references.  Nada.

I sighed inwardly.  Not a full day had passed and I was about to lose my job.  The hopes of finally being able to work, of seeing the other side of life, I was just a few hours into it and I was losing it already.  Marc was right.  I should’ve had listened to him and stayed home. 

No CayYou need this.  You waited for a long time for this opportunity to happen.  Don’t let anyone ruin it.

My inner voice was right.  I could do this.  I had come this far and would prove myself worthy.  To Marc, to Shannon and Lizzie, even to Lucas.  But most especially to myself.

Renewed, I put on my best smile and patted Lizzie’s head.  I was about to ask her to play with Emilia when the door opened for the second time and Shannon walked in, suitcase in tow.

Resolved not to say anything unless someone personally asked me to leave, I stood up, acknowledging my employer as she commenced to give out a few additional instructions.