Chapter 11: Cailley

©rainthereader All Rights Reserved

Chapter 11

Cailley

Mm... So good.

Savoring the tuna and mushroom omelette, I closed my eyes, chewing.  It was just the way I liked it.  How lucky of me that Lucas knew this recipe, and fortunate that there was sweet basil in the fridge.

I opened my eyes and saw Lucas giving me that strange look again.  His dark brows were drawn together, cloudy eyes penetrating mine.  Placing the fork on the plate, I stared back, and after what felt like half a minute, I decided to speak.

"You're doing it again."

He seemed to have returned to his senses and shook his head, sighing. "I'm sorry.  It's just that—Hmm... I seem to be apologizing a lot lately, huh?"

I smiled at that. "Yes, you were."

He chuckled.  "Forgive me.  It's just that... You remind me of someone."  

Oh.  "A friend?"  I asked.

He paused for a while, somewhat thinking of the right words to say.  "Yeah, you could say that.  A very... special friend."

I didn't speak, so he continued, "I used to make this omelette for her all the time.  It's her favorite, too."  He took a forkful of the eggs and started eating, but his sight was focused on the plate in the middle of the table.

It was a woman.  Probably an ex-girlfriend.  I watched him as he contemplated the dish in front of him.  He took bite after bite of food, but his mind was somewhere else.  His eyes were a little glazed, and he blinked them a few times, unaware that I was observing him.

"She must be one lucky woman, to have you cook for her all the time," I finally said, breaking the silence.

He looked at me and gave a small smile.  "She sucked at cooking, so I did it for her.  For us.  We both loved the arrangement, though."

That confirmed my thoughts.  They were together.  I studied his face and noticed the sudden spark in his eyes, like he was now remembering something nice, but it was gone in an instant, and replacing that spark was a look of despondency.  Feeling brave all of a sudden because of my niggling curiosity, I inquired, "What happened?"

He returned to stare at the plate, even with his lids down I could tell the hurt in his eyes, and he softly murmured, "She...left."

Of course she did.  Blair wouldn't be with him now if his former girlfriend didn't leave.  I continued to study Lucas while he finished breakfast.  With that short conversation I could tell that he loved that woman.  Really loved her.  It was in the sound of his voice.  The way he affectionately spoke of her brought him back in time.  Somewhere unforgettable.  But I could also hear the tinge of pain in them.  Pain about something weightier than two people breaking up.  A feeling of melancholy suddenly washed over me.

I was suddenly dying to ask him about her.  What was she like, to have captured his heart so?  But probing Lucas about it would be inappropriate.  We hadn't known each other much and it would be terrible to poke my nose in his past.  With that in mind I decided to move on to lighter things.  But just as I was about to change the subject his deep voice halted me from speaking.

"That was a long time ago, though.  And Blair's here and she's—she's great," a small grin pulled at his lips before he grabbed his glass and downed his drink.

Right.  Blair.  The stunningly gorgeous Blair.  There was a mild prick in my heart at the mention of her name.  Meeting her yesterday just proved that I was no match for her.  She was sophisticated, smart, and filled with confidence.  Everything I was not.  She was perfect for Lucas.