MFA chapter 6*

Chapter Six* 

2009 

"Zandy," Candace called me from the loading bay. 

"Just a sec," I called back, trying to get the stupid name tag on. I was able to get the pin in without managing to poke my skin; today was already a win. 

I joined Candy in the back and looked at the three large boxes marked 't-shirts'.  

"These came in today, but I haven't been able to get anyone to put 'em away," Candy explained, handing me a box cutter. "There's three empty shelves on the wall. I want as many as will fit of each on there. Don't worry about the case above them, I'll have one of the guys do that later." I nodded and she smiled, patting me on the shoulder. "I don't know what the heck they are, but this seems to be the first place they've shipped 'em. I checked the item number and this order seemed to be the only one on the computer. Must be some new band." 

Candy left me back there, closing the door behind her since costumers weren't allowed in this area. 

It was a Friday afternoon and I had just started my shift at work. It had been a few weeks since I found out about Karsten. Sure, it was a huge blow to my self confidence, but nothing I didn't get over within the first couple days. After our scene in the restaurant, he had quit his job and apparently moved. What a coward, not being able to stand up to a girl. Even if he was gay. 

Today was June 28th, eleven days since the video for Knives and Pens had been released on YouTube. I had made fun of Andy multiple times while watching it, but it was really bad*ss. Everything just looked like it was done well and Andy had this type of presence when he was on camera. It was breathtaking almost. Chris did awesome, he couldn't have played better and he always seemed to know what to do to allow the director to get the right shot. Sandra did awesomely, especially considering it was her first time on a professional camera. She had to be the best female drummer--no, artist--out there right now.  

In the midst of all this, they were hurrying to finish recording and editing because their album was set to release on July 20th. They were also looking for more guitarist, and Andy was contemplating taking up and offer from a guy named Pan. When Andy had first told me, I immediately thought of the Greek god of wildlife, the one with hooves for feet. Yeah, not the best first impression. 

I snapped out of my thoughts and slid a razor out of the box cutter I held in my hand. I sliced open the tape on the first box. When the cardboard flaps popped open, I almost dropped my cutter and I'm pretty sure my jaw hit the floor. Just to make sure I wasn't seeing things, I cut open the other two boxes. I was faced with the same thing, just different designs and styles. No. F*cking. Way.  

Slipping my phone out of my back pocket secretively, I snapped a photo of the contents of the boxes. No way in hell was I going to send it to Andy. No way, these were going to Lottie and the guys. They would flip! 

I quickly sent the pictures to their phones, writing a caption. 'Look at the sh*t we got in today.' I sent it and stowed my phone back into my pocket. I took an armful of shirts from the first box and went out onto the floor. I spotted the empty racks Candy was talking about and put what I had on one. I repeated the process with the other two shirts. When I had filled them to the max, I grabbed a medium sized shirt from each pile and set it aside for me so I could buy them when my shift ended. 

I went back out onto the floor and went through all the shelves, arranging each by size. I was still all happy and bubbly inside from the discovery I had made a few minutes earlier. As I was working, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I slipped it out and saw I had a new txt message from Lottie, Skin, and Bone. I put my phone away, deciding I'd read them on my break.