MFA chapter 2*

Chapter Two* 

2008 

"Alexandria Corinne Night! Get your butt out here!" my mom called from the other side of the bathroom door. I pulled my hair back into a quick ponytail and threw open the bathroom door.  

"I don't like this one," I told my Grammy and mom. They looked me up and down and shook their heads. They didn't like this one either. 

"That dress is too dull for you," Grammy said. 

"Yes, it's too plain on you. There's no shape," Mom agreed. 

"I hate the color," I said, pulling the pale pink silk material away from my body. I hated pink, pastels, or anything flashy or sparkly. My mom and Grammy said they went well with my pale skin tone, but I hated them. They literally made me sick. Though, I had feeling I would grow out of this hatred in a few years.

My mother passed me another zipped up dress and ushered me into the downstairs bathroom. I closed and locked the door behind me and started to strip down. 

Okay, let me explain.  

It's been another year with Andy and his silly shenanigans. He's still dating Scout and he still has his band. The gigs they played last year were phenomenal and they played wonderfully. I can see them going far someday. 

It's October and I'm now a sophomore and Andy's a senior. Homecoming dance is tomorrow and Andy convinced me to go with him to the football game tonight and the dance. His reasoning was that this is his last year and he's never gone before and that I'll never go after he leaves, so why not go this year. I must admit, he has a good point, because I never will go again, but it doesn't mean I like it.  

So now, my mom has got me trying on dresses she's designed for the fall line at her company and making me see which one I like. I have a good feeling I won't like any of them since she's really big into mainstream fashion and has no idea how to design and make things that I like to wear. So far, all the dresses have been 'warm colors' and 'excellent with my pale skin tone', but I don't like any of them. I don't give a crud about warm colors and things that go with my skin tone.

I stepped out of the previous dress and hung it on the shower rail. When I unzipped the white bag that contained the next dress, I gasped. I quickly took the dress out of the bag and stripped it off the hanger. When I slipped the dress on, I was careful not to step on the many layers of tiered tulle. Pulling it up my body, I could feel the cool softness of the silk material on the inside.  

Looking at myself in the mirror, I couldn't believe my eyes. The main color of the dress was purple and the accent was, of course, black. It was strapless and the neckline was a sweetheart with the less defined neckline behind it in black. Just under my bust line there was an inch wide strip of black lace ribbon with an intricate design. The dropped waistline rested just below my hips and gave way to many layers of black tulle. The bodice of the dress was covered in silver beads and had a pretty pattern coming down the middle of my stomach and then splayed out along the bottom of the waistline. The ends of each layer of tulle was torn and ripped so it had that grungy look that I like. The skirt was long and swept all the way to the floor and pooled at my feet a little. I guess I had to obey my mother's wishes and wear high heels. 

I opened the bathroom door slowly, holding the dress to me since it corseted in the back and I couldn't do it myself. The look on my grammy's and mom's faces was priceless. They both grinned from ear to ear and their eyes were alight with happiness. I offered them a small smile. 

"Ah! My baby girl looks like a woman!" my mom cried. 

"I'll say," Grammy said, walking around me to tighten the back a little so I didn't have to hold the dress up. My mom walked around me, examining how the dress fit and looked on me. Finally, she stopped, seeming satisfied.