Time Together

I chewed my bottom lip nervously. I sighed dramatically as I sat at my desk. I had gotten the job…but how could I concentrate when so much had happened recently? My mind was stuck in a whirl as his image found its way into my minds eye. Was I going to be enough? Am I even his type? “Ugh!” I groaned. My mind wasn’t in the right place. I should be taking this in stride, enjoying the romance while it lasted but instead I was sitting here growing anxious…worried. I ran my hand through my wild hair, mussing it up. “Danielle? You okay, girl?” My head snapped up in surprise.

In front of me stood Amber, she was a co-worker who I’d gotten to know. We’d both been hired at the same time. I sigh again, “I’m fine, just a little tired I guess.” She nods in understanding. “Girl, I feel you! I just got handed a new manuscript to look over…there’s more errors in that thing then there are calories in a bag of chips.” I grin at her analogy.

I shook my head at her. “So, what’s got you tired exactly?” She asked suggestively. I felt heat rise into my cheeks. I averted my eyes from her curious gaze. I cleared my throat awkwardly, “It’s been hard for me to sleep lately…I have sleep insomnia.” She laughed sarcastically. “Ha! I’m sure you do…-” My cell phone cut her off as Trey Songs exploded from my phone’s speaker. We both looked down at the same time as Damion’s name danced across the screen. I quickly grabbed my phone and answered it, catching the sly smirk on Amber’s face. “Hello?” I whisper shyly. “Hey. How’s your day been?” His deep voice travels through my ear and down to my heart. I can feel myself drooling already.

“It’s been…um…good so far. How about you?” I say breathlessly. He chuckles and I smile at hearing the sound. “It’s great now that I’ve heard your voice.” I giggle. “You’re so corny.”

He laughs, “You’re going to stop insulting my lines. But seriously, I wanted to know if I could take you out today?” My heart did a little dance in my chest. I took a deep breath, “Sure, yeah, sounds…um…cool.” Why was I so nervous? He chuckles again, “So I’ll pick you up in a few?” Play it cool. Be calm, be confident. “Um, um…it doesn’t matter, really.” Ugh. “I’ll take that as a yes, then. See you later, Danielle.” I shook my head as if he could see me before hanging up. I smiled so hard my cheeks began to ache.

Amber cleared her throat noisily, pulling me out of my daze. I gazed up at her and she smiled. “Was that your man? Don’t deny it because you smiling so hard, you look like you about to hurt yourself.” I laughed. “Well, I can’t say we’re together or anything but I guess you could say he’s my man, to some degree.” She sat down on my desk. “Is he the reason you been yawning? Hmm?” She leaned towards me, her curious eyes shinning. “No! I really have been having trouble sleeping lately!” I refused to meet her eyes. This was embarrassing.

I hadn’t done anything with Damion besides the occasional kiss; we hadn’t done anything…extra in three weeks, since he asked me out. “Mhm…you ain’t got to tell me. It’s obvious anyway. But you need to introduce me to him. Is he fine?” I groaned. “Amber, why are you so nosy? Mind your own business.” She laughs and stands up.

“Okay, okay, I’ll stop. Are you leaving now?” I check the time on my computer screen and jump up. “Yeah.” I gather my purse, phone and some unfinished work. “I’ll see you later, Amber.”

I walk out the door and search the parking lot for Damion’s car. As I’m struggling to keep a hold of all the papers in my arms, I hear a car honk and I jump, dropping everything. “Shit! Oh my god, really?” I bend down to pick the discarded papers up and suddenly a shadow falls over me. My head jerks up and Damion smiles down at me. He bends down and picks up the remaining papers. As he hands them to me he pulls me up. “You’re so clumsy. But it’s cute.” He says. I lick my lips. “I’m not clumsy; I just got caught off guard, that’s all.” I say with a smile. He grins, his dimples sinking into his cheeks. I look away; I can’t handle how handsome he is. Looking at him for too long made my heart beat increase.