Reset

(Logan's POV)

I haven't been much help at the library today. I'm supposed to go to lunch in fifteen minutes, but I haven't even finished restocking the books from yesterday yet. Normally I would have finished restocking shelves and be at a desk an hour ago, but I was slow moving today. Mostly because Virgil has been texting me all morning. He actually wanted me to just come in late so he could talk at me all morning, but I have a schedule I like to keep to. Work at ten, lunch at noon, Patton comes in around four, and I check out at six.

Speaking of Patton, I didn't know how to feel about him lately. It was the strangest thing. Fluttery feelings in my stomach, quickened heart beats, and not to mention how much I've allowed him to influence me. I have a reason for everything I do and rarely do I change myself for someone, but somehow Patton gets to me. I always worked during lunch so I wouldn't ever have to work late and sometimes even got off early. Now I take a walk around the block and sit in the park near the fountain because Patton insists I should get more fresh air. I never wore my gem on the inside of my shirt so it wasn't a distraction for me or anyone around me, but Patton said that the first step to finding a soulmate is to acknowledge the fact that you have one. My daily work clothes were dress pants, nice shirt, tie, black shoes, and slicked back hair. It kept me professional. Patton made the comment that my main demographic is children, parents, and students; he said that there was no real point in looking professional when there was no one expecting me to. Now I wear dark jeans and leave my hair alone. I kept the tie and nice shirt and Patton agreed that it works.

It took me a while to realize how much I'd changed in such a short time and Roman and Virgil get some of the credit since they are the ones who pointed everything out. Needless to say something was off and I didn't have an explanation. I didn't figure out the answer to this mystery until a few days ago. I don't want to say I panicked, but I did seem to temporarily shut down. I don't have feelings like that. I never have. I wasn't expecting to until I found the person that this rock around my neck belongs to. I began dreading Patton's vists, yet I didn't want him to stop coming because I do enjoy his company. I hate the strangeness of the feelings, but I couldn't imagine never seeing Patton's smile and hearing his rather absurd puns.

Virgil insists that strange isn't bad, and new can be good. I don't know how wanting to throw up every time soulmates are brought up and not being able to put a filter on my words whenever Patton is brought up is a good thing, but this isn't my area of expertise.

I put away the last book I had and decided to neglect the desk for a while and took lunch ten minutes early. I wasn't necessarily hungry, but I have come to enjoy the walks at lunch.

I waved to Athena to let her know that I was on my way and she nodded back. She normally takes her lunch after me unless Zach is working and then we just take our lunch together, but Zach wasn't in today.

I took my usual route and ended up at the fountain. I took my usual seat and ate my usual lunch. Peanut butter and crofter's sandwich, apple, cheese stick, and water. I know it sounds like a school lunch, but it serves its purpose.

The park was filled with a group of art students sketching scenes today. A few joggers went by, but most runners had done their run in the morning. A few dog walkers and a few parents and children. It was a relaxing place to spend your lunch. I took some time to just take in the scenery since I had come early before heading back.

I got back to the library five minutes before my lunch was officially over and headed over to a desk and started going through the archives of books to make sure everything was as it should be. It didn't last long before Athena came to see me.

"What's going on?" She asked.

"Not much really, everything seems normal so far," I answered without taking my eyes off the computer screen.