The Rehearsal Dinner

~~~

A/N: I'd like to specially dedicate this to amazing readers (too bad Wattpad only allows one concentrated dedication at a time): @Book_Lover848, @catbat, @HazelFarahFrost, @FeMaLeNaRcISSiSt and @amandaa1186.

~~~

Speculative eyes wandered over me and Diego, and our connected arms. "Well, if it isn't the lovely Veronica." There wasn't any malice in her voice, only curiosity.

"Natali! Hi!" My voice was squeaky. I straightened my back and loosened my grip on Diego.

The brunette beauty smiled, with an eyebrow raised. "Hi... who's your friend?" Her smile widened as she got a really good look at my date.

Oh, shoot. Manners! "Yes, Diego. He is. My Diego friend. My friend Diego." Why was I so nervous? Oh, possibly because this would most likely make its way to Sandrine-Jake-Levi. "We had dinner. You should try it!"

Diego patted my hand on his arm. "Relax, Nica." He turned his bedazzling smile on Natali, who seemed to like the attention. A lot. "Pleasure to meet you, Natali, is it?"

"She's Natali." I needed a second to collect my thoughts. "I'm sorry. Let me start again." I released Diego's arm. "Natali, I'd like you to meet my trainer and friend"-- emphasis on the friend --"Diego. Diego, this is Natali."

Natali beamed, offering a hand to Diego, who reached out and grasped it in both of his. His smile was pure charm. Wait a minute... my match-making senses were tingling. Natali liked. Diego liked. I could work with this.

"Pleasure to meet you, Natali."

"Pleasure's all mine."

"Natali is visiting for a wedding this Saturday. She's the MOH," I supplied. And after guessing that Diego might not be aware of the term, I added, "Maid of Honor."

Neither one looked my way. "That's very nice. How are you liking San Francisco?" Diego asked.

They didn't even let go of the other's hand. "I like it much better now." Yes, she did! Something snapped her out of the daze she was in. She slowly retracted her hand and turned to me. "You look fabulous in that dress, Veronica."

I smoothed my hands over the silk-jersey material. "Thanks. What are you doing around here?"

"My hotel's around the corner. I was just hunting for dinner." Her eyes drifted back to Diego.

"You should try La Mer then. It's not too far from here." I couldn't resist. "Diego, why don't you show Natali to the restaurant. It was a bit busy but I'm sure you'll be able to find her a spot."

I knew it sounded ridiculous pawning off my date to someone else, but Diego and I had agreed that beyond tonight, and every morning at Torture, we would never happen.

Natali flipped her hair. "It's fine. I'm sure I can find it myself. You guys enjoy the rest of your night."

"And I have to give you a ride back home," Diego said, turning to me.

"I can catch a cab. I see one now. You don't mind just taking her for a while, do you? I'd go but I have some work to finish." I was making my way towards the end of the street, ready to wave the cab over. "I'm fine. Really."

Diego took a moment to contemplate. He stared directly in my eyes, and I was sure he could see what I intended to happen. Then he glimpsed over at Natali hugging herself and quietly waiting for an answer. "Are you sure about this?"

As the cab pulled over, I moved to give Diego a hug and a chaste kiss on the cheek. "Sure as I'll ever be. Have a great time. I'll see you in the morning." I let go of him and walked to Natali, giving her the same treatment. "And I will see you on Friday at the rehearsal."