Chapter 21

"There are more human slaves
in the world today
than ever before in history."
~ Unknown

Looking at Chantal he could see questions in her eyes but still no trust.

'Stop looking at me like that!' Chantal desperately wanted to scream but she kept quite.  She knew better. She would not let the curiosity get to her - not today not ever.

'What happened then?' she wanted to ask but still did not.  'Don't crumble. Don't give in!' she screamed at herself.

"There was a mole on our side. Someone from the inside was telling the traffickers everything that we were about to do.  They were always one step ahead of us.

"It was during Holi that things really went downhill.  The streets were busy with celebrations and it was a perfect opportunity.  In all this we still had to act as if we were with what they were doing, so some of us kidnapped some of the girls but at the end of the raid we ensured they were returned home.

"So with all these people out and about in the streets the perfect opportunity strikes.  We lure girls away then kidnapped them.  Some of the other ones - those who were originally apart of the ring - raped some of them then ditched them in different places.  It so happened that Mishti was one of the girls. I was the one who lured her away. I had no idea that she was the daughter of the man I killed in Monte Carlo. I don't believe in it but I was in the Hindus' place and karma did get me good that day."

"You must be the luckiest man alive Monte!"

Chuckling he responded, "Why'd you say that Sabin?"

"Come on man! Stop playing dumb! You remember Akram? Who you killed couple months ago?"

"Yeah? What about him?"

"That's his daughter!"

Looking down at the girl he saw the same eyes staring back at him that had stared at him six months ago.

"That's just pure coincidence! I didn't go out looking for her I swear man!" Monte replied laughing.

"Yeah?" Sabin, his second in command asked mockingly, "Well you better have her right here now," Sabin said folding his hands resolutely.

"Right," Monte replied grimly, "We got to stick to the plans -"

"Change of plans!" Sabin shouted angrily, "You have her right here, right now! Or I shoot her head off then I kill you slowly! First in the legs! Then in your jewels! Then your pretty little head,"  he finished off slowly as if he was telling a bed time story.

"You're joking right now?"

"No I'm not! You Americans are the ones that are always joking."

Ignoring him Monte stepped forward and in that same motion Sabin drew his gun and cocked it.

"For all things that are Holi put the stupid gun down."

"See what I mean? Always joking around. Now if you don't begin in 30 seconds I'll do as promised."

"Sabin, tell me something - what has gotten into you?"

"Gotten into me? More like I'm thinking about how quickly you have risen to power and how I'm here for five years now and I'm still second in command.

"So I did a background check on you and it tells me a dishonourable discharge from the US Army and suddenly you join trafficking rings and every ring that you joined the FBI or some other crappy American organisation goes busting the group.  Makes me wonder when we getting busted.  Makes me also wonder if it's just pure coincidence.  You get what I'm saying now, right?