Chapter 29

Jackie and Dean were lying on the carpet watching a movie, with Jackie’s head lying on Dean’s lap, when they came in.

Her friend eyed them closely but she pretended not to notice as she let Jordan lock the door behind them.

Jackie narrowed her eyes at Jordan and asked, “Please tell us you told her, Jordan. Please.”

George shot her friend a darting look. “That’s what you were talking about last Sunday?”

Her friend must have realized what she just said because she jumped from Dean’s lap and sat up looking at her and Jordan. Jackie beamed at them while Dean looked on with apprehension. “So? What now?”

She wanted her friend to suffer a little so she just rolled her eyes and went to her room.

Before she closed the door, she heard Jackie shooting a series of questions at Jordan without giving him enough time to answer.

“Where did the two of you go? What did you tell her? You did tell her, right? What did she say? Did she say no? You should have made a big confession. You did, right? Jordan, why won’t you say a thing? Tell me, did you tell her?”

George shook her head and started to change.

She smiled when she heard Jackie squeal with excitement a few minutes later. Jordan should have held out much longer so Jackie would not have a glimpse of sleep tonight, she thought.

What Jordan told her about jumping off the cliff had stuck in her mind. And earlier tonight, she finally got the courage to take the plunge. The ruse of the creating that stupid list had paid off big time, she thought with a wicked smile.

George went to bed for the first time after twelve weeks with a feeling that she was happy and with an assurance that tomorrow would be the same.

*****

When she woke up that morning, her eyes widened when she realized she was huddled against Jordan’s sleeping form on the bed.

His face was buried in her hair and she could feel his warm, even breathing. She hated to kill his peaceful slumber by kicking him out of the bed but she did it anyway and did so with success.

“Ow!” he quietly cried out as he rolled on the floor, careful not to make a lot of noise to alarm the others in the apartment.

“What the hell are you doing sleeping in my room, on my bed?” she hissed at him, kicking his shoulder lightly with one foot.

“Okay, okay, stop,” he said in haste as he scrambled backward to the wall opposite her bed. “Troy suddenly came with a bunch of teddy bears and he was drunk. He threw up on the carpet and Dean had to beg Jackie to let him sleep in her room and I had to sneak in here as well.”

She never noticed him enter or lie beside her on her bed. “You did not ask permission.”

“Well, I figured since we decided to be together, you wouldn’t mind—” he received a flying pillow for that. “You have to see the condition of the carpet, George. No sober person can ever sleep on that at all.”

She shot out of bed and tied her hair. “Then where’s Troy?”

“We left him sleeping on the carpet,” he said with a cringe, also standing up.

“And why did he bring teddy bears while drunk?” she asked, hands on waist.

Jordan shrugged. “Dannie?” he guessed.

“Dannie?” she asked incredulously.

He raised his eyebrows at her as he picked up the pillow from the floor. “Don’t tell me you don’t know. I know everyone has an idea what Troy has for Dannie.”