Chapter 9

They climbed out the jeepney and crossed the overpass within five minutes with Jordan trying to catch up to George.

“Why are we in a hurry?” he asked breathlessly when they entered the mall.

“I have to make sure that Jackie doesn’t buy anything useless,” George explained as she continued to walk to the direction of Robinson’s Supermarket.

“Why would you care what she buys?”

“We all share the budget for the groceries. It is necessary that we only buy what we all need.”

By the time they entered the Supermarket, George went directly to the chips section where she was certain she would find her friends. Jackie was bending down to grab a Piatos, explaining to Dannie that it was cheap.

“Take that back,” George told her.

Jackie jumped in surprise. Dannie was standing beside her with the same disapproving look as George.

“Just one, please,” Jackie begged.

“You already have Ridges,” Dannie reminded her.

“We still have,” Jackie looked at her phone to check and continued with, “657 pesos left. There will be enough for some chips and the wet market later.”

“No,” George and Dannie answered at the same time.

Jordan was standing beside George silently, looking at the three of them with confusion.

Jackie grudgingly returned the Piastos with a look of longing.

Then she saw Jordan.

“Hey, Jordan, how was your day?”

“Okay,” he answered with his neutral voice.

Jackie looked at George wickedly. “Okaaaay,” she said with a shrug.

“Let me help you with that,” Jordan offered when Jackie motioned to push the cart forward.

“Well, such a gentleman! Thanks!” George noted the sarcasm but since it was addressed to Jordan, she let it slide.

As Jackie went ahead, George stopped Jordan. “What?” he asked.

She was already inspecting the cart. “She might have hidden something here somewhere.”

“I guess she did,” Dannie agreed before walking away to distract Jackie.

“We don’t need this,” George muttered under her breath as she grabbed an air freshener out of the cart. She placed it on the shelf beside the chips. One more minute and she managed to take out five more items from the cart.

“I can pay for those if Jackie really wants them,” Jordan offered and George almost snorted.

“No, that’s fine. You are not paying for anything.” Jackie would love that idea, but George doubted if it would change her impression of the guy.

“I will be living in your apartment for five days. I should at least contribute something,” he offered seriously as if he was doing a business deal.

“I lived in your place for five days. I did not contribute anything. Just because you will be living with three girls who don’t make as much as you do does not mean you should see us as a charity case.”

“I did not mean it that way--”

“Then stop with the offers.”

She let him push the cart to the cashier where they fell in line.