A Rebel Wedding (Part Two)

Set after Return of the Jedi:

Summary – Several weeks pass, and the wedding of Kanan and Hera arrives. And as Ezra watches the two of them say their vows, he secretly begins to plan a surprise for Sabine... (BF/GF)

Three weeks had passed since the big proposal, and it had been all hands-on deck. This wedding was going to be the best thing to happen to any of the crew in a long time, and everyone was committed to seeing it happen. All of the Spectres had contacted Leia Organa and booked time off from their duties with the New Republic. She understood completely, having worked closely with Hera in the later years of the Galactic Civil War. And little Jacen Syndulla had also warranted an invite. It had been one of the hardest decisions in Hera and Kanan's lives to send him away. But the boy was force-sensitive, how could he not be? And Luke Skywalker had set up a new school to train the next generation of young Jedi. But Master Skywalker had been understanding as well, granting Jacen a day off from his studies and allowing him to watch the wedding over the holo-net. It wasn't quite the same, but it didn't matter to little Jacen, he was just elated to see his parents so happy. And as for the rest of the crew, everyone had their roles. Kanan had booked the venue in advance, a space station resort orbiting a beautiful green nebula. Hera and Sabine had left for the planet Garel to shop for dresses and other cosmetics. Zeb had been left in charge of organising food for the event, with Hera complimenting him on his vast experience in that arena. This left Ezra alone on the Ghost with Chopper. He had been ordered to stay behind and protect the freighter, not because the crew didn't trust him but rather because they did. Nobody in their right mind would leave someone like Zeb in charge. And so, the apprentice waited on board, all the while having thoughts of his own.

Ezra sat absent-mindedly beside the ship's dejarik table, leaning on his hand as he stared into the distance. For three weeks now, he'd been unable to think of little else other than Sabine. Of course, that was nothing new, but usually he didn't get stressed about it. This, however, was stressing him out no end. He had tried meditation, the Jedi method, to see if that would yield any results. But, as it turned out, meditation was difficult to accomplish without an empty head. So instead, Ezra resolved to sit silently and ponder his problems until a solution entered his head. And, three weeks later, he was still pondering. Of course, he wanted to spend the rest of his life with Sabine, that was obvious. But did she feel the same way? And how could he propose in a way which would stand out? He didn't want to steal Kanan and Hera's thunder, but at the same time he didn't want to wait too long. Who knew how long it would be until this fragile galaxy fell into war again?
"Maybe I could do something with art? She's always liked that Janyor of Bith painting I got her..." he theorised aloud, thinking back to their early days. It probably hadn't seemed it at the time but mustering up the courage to enter a serious relationship with Sabine seemed like child's play now he was contemplating proposing to her. Chopper beeped from the corner of the room in his usual grumbling tone, snapping the apprentice back into reality.
"Nothing...it doesn't matter. Weren't you supposed to be running calibrations on the comms array?" Ezra questioned, receiving another garbled response. The droid used his arms to give a shrugging motion, causing Ezra to roll his eyes.
"Oh, you've finished...mhm I bet you have. And when no guests turn up to the wedding, I'll point Hera straight to you...bucket of bolts" he remarked. At the mention of Hera, the droid suddenly wheeled itself out of the room again and back towards the communications relay with panicked beeps. That ought to keep him away for another hour, Ezra thought to himself with a content smile. The threat of an angry Twi-Lek had that effect on most people. Alone once again, Ezra returned to his thoughts. Perhaps he could ask someone else for advice. At the very least, he would wait until after Kanan and Hera's wedding. This was their moment, and he wasn't about to crash it.