This Crazy Love (Part Three)

Set during season two.

Summary – Following her discussion with Hera, Sabine struggles with the idea that she has fallen for Ezra. The padawan, meanwhile, tries to interpret Sabine's suddenly awkward behaviour around him.

In the day since Hera had confronted her with the truth, Sabine had spent the majority of her time cooped up inside her cabin, thinking deeply. In a way, she was testing herself, trying to see if she truly did have feelings for Ezra. But every time he entered her thoughts, her heart would beat a thousand times faster, and before long she couldn't help but admit that Hera was right. The question now was how to tell him. The Mandalorian had never been known as the most open person, and as a result she'd never had to deal with the daunting issue of admitting love. She ran through a million scenarios in her head, and as each of them played out she labelled herself as 'soppy', shocked at herself for fixating on what should be such a minor thing. She had half a mind to march across to Ezra's quarters and state how she felt, get it done with quickly and fiercely, the Mandalorian way. But the other half of her brain thought otherwise, desperately trying to come up with some grand romantic gesture to prove that this wasn't just a fleeting fancy. Ezra had gotten her that protest painting, as well as done a multitude of other things for her, now it was her turn to prove herself. But how?

There was knock on her door, and immediately her heart stopped as panic rose within her. What if it was Ezra? What if he knew somehow? Had Hera already told him?
"Wh-who is it?" the Mandalorian questioned in a strangely timid tone, internally cursing herself for such meek behaviour.
"Hera. Can I come in?" the Twi-Lek answered from the other side of the door, and Sabine breathed a sigh of relief.
"Sure. Let me unlock it" she replied, pressing a button on the wall and allowing Hera to enter. The Twi-Lek smiled gratefully, slowing walking inside and taking a seat on Sabine's bunk. She gestured for the Mandalorian to sit beside her, and so she did.
"Listen. What I said earlier...I'm sorry, I crossed the line. I just want to help, that's all. You've never been able to have a normal life, you've never lived like a normal teenager...and I'm sorry for that. But you and Ezra...you make each other better, build each other up. That's a rare thing, in fact I've only seen it once before. Do you know when?" Hera asked, causing Sabine to shake her head slowly.
"No idea" the Mandalorian responded quietly.
"The only time I've seen something like that before in my entire life...is with Kanan and I. The day we met...I felt something I can't describe, and as we grew closer...I was terrified of the commitment. I was like you...scared of heartbreak, and inexperienced at love. I thought I'd get it all wrong...but the truth is there is no right way. You show your love your way...Ezra will appreciate that. He's not expecting you to go and buy him a bouquet of flowers because that's not you...you have to be yourself...and the rest will come with time" Hera explained, a nostalgic smile on her face. The Twi-Lek thought back to her earlier memories with Kanan, and her heart began to flutter the same way it had when they she first set eyes on him. Through it all, the way she felt had never changed, and it never would. She looked up, and she saw a single tear roll down Sabine's cheek, a sight that she'd never seen before. There was no doubt that the Twi-Lek's tale had brought on this emotion.
"I...I don't recognise myself anymore" Sabine admitted quietly, her voice was shaky.
"Neither did I. Love? Feelings? They had never been my forte, they still aren't" Hera answered, putting an arm around the girl she considered a daughter.
"Then how do you do it? How do you make the first step?" Sabine asked with uncertainty.
"On your terms. Only you can decide...but I know you can do it. You know why?" Hera asked in response.
"No" Sabine admitted.
"Because you're me...but fiercer...now get out there and show the world that you care" Hera replied, before standing up. The Twi-Lek gave one last smile, before strolling out of the cabin, confident that she'd redeemed her earlier words. Sabine continued to sit there, staring down blankly at the floor. Inspiration would come to her at some point, she just had to think...