A Rebel Wedding (Part One)

Set after Return of the Jedi:

Summary – In a reality where both Kanan and Ezra survived the Battle for Lothal, the Spectres face the prospect of a peaceful galaxy for the first time in years. This newfound tranquillity provokes certain crew members to make some radical propositions... (BF/GF)

There are certain moments in life where people ask, where were you when it happened? Sometimes it was a great battle, with the fate of the entire galaxy hanging in the balance. Where were you during the Battle of Endor? And sometimes it was the little things, treasured moments between family and friends which would mean nothing to most. Today was one of those days, and in that moment, Ezra found himself sat in his cabin on the Ghost, fiddling absent-mindedly with his lightsaber. Normal folk would sit on a chair, or on the edge of a bed when doing this sort of thing. But Ezra was far from normal. Instead, he sat cross-legged on the floor, a pair of welding goggles hanging flimsily around his head. Alongside Zeb, Sabine and Rex, Ezra had fought groundside on the forest moon of Endor. And during that tense conflict, a blaster bolt had very narrowly missed his chest, instead colliding with his lightsaber hilt. He smiled as he remembered Sabine instantly letting out a battle cry and decimating the poor buckethead with her blaster pistols. Still, it had been a lucky thing. And ever since that hit, the blade hadn't quite been working the same. It would turn on just fine, but while activated it would flicker and didn't seem to glow quite as brightly. Ezra had assumed it was an issue with the focusing crystals but was beginning to think otherwise.
"Hm...maybe the cycling field energisers..." he thought aloud, frowning down at a series of gold rings inside the hilt. He flicked the goggles over his eyes and activated the welder, but just as he moved close to his project, the cabin door suddenly burst open. Ezra recoiled in a quick motion, accidentally igniting his lightsaber. The room glowed with an emerald hue for a moment as Ezra quickly deactivated it again, before turning around with a sharp glare. Chopper stood at the door, garbling a fast and incoherent series of mumbled bleeps. A second passed, and Zeb suddenly appeared behind the droid, a look of surprise on his face.
"What's going on now? Tell me Sabine hasn't painted another mural" Ezra questioned, thinking back to last week's...incident. His darling girlfriend, for a joke, had decided to paint a less than flattering image of him on the wall of the ship's gantry. It depicted him staring out with a blank expression as he accidentally ignited his lightsaber through a meiloorun he'd been hoping to eat. Despite Ezra's clear displeasure after seeing the mural, it was still painted there now, much to his annoyance.
"Come quickly kid! To the quarterdeck...Kanan...Hera!" Zeb stuttered, unable to finish his sentence before quickly running off again. Chopper raced off after him, causing Ezra to roll his eyes. Even now, after so many years, Zeb still called him kid. He knew he ought to stay and finish repairs on his lightsaber, but as always, curiosity got the better of him.

Ezra strolled through an empty corridor, sensing an immense amount of tension and trepidation in the force. It felt as though every lifeform on board the Ghost was waiting for something, but he could not tell what. He quickened his pace and walked through a doorway to find a scene he'd always been waiting for. Kanan was lowered on one knee, holding a small black box in his hand. Hera stood in front of him, her hands covering her mouth in a state of shock. And around the room, the rest of the crew silently watched, eyes widened. For once, even Chopper was quiet, and that was a rarity. Ezra crept to Sabine's side, subtly linking his hand in hers as they both anxiously waited for Hera's response. It was then, with a confident smile, that Kanan made his speech.
"Hera. The moment I watched that second Death Star explode, it gave me a sudden realisation. The war is over...it's time to make sure it wasn't fought in vain. I adore and respect you, you're the fiercest and kindest woman in the galaxy. Not to mention, the most beautiful. I always knew I could never measure up to you, but I've tried to all the same. You would make me incredibly happy if you said yes now. So, Hera Syndulla, will you marry me?" he asked, and a quiet choked sob made its way from Hera's mouth. Kanan had always been such a goof, quite similar to Ezra in a way, hiding his true emotions behind cheap jokes. But that speech...that said it all. Sabine tightened her grasp around Ezra's hand as anxiety increased. She bit her lip, and with his free hand, Ezra crossed his fingers. And with a smile, Hera began to nod her head. It was slow at first, but quite soon she uncovered her mouth, revealing a beaming smile.
"Yes! Yes, of course I will!" she answered, and Zeb gave a subtle sigh of relief. With a calm smile, Kanan stood up and slid the engagement ring onto her finger. It was a beautiful specimen: a bright shining silver ring housing a spectacular green gem which Kanan had claimed was the same colour as Hera's eyes. The Jedi had an eye for jewellery, who would have thought? And to make it even more special, if that was even possible, this gem was a kyber crystal, which Kanan had travelled Ilum to acquire. It appeared the Empire had not completely desecrated that planet. Apparently, the Jedi had spent hours searching for a crystal with just the right colour. As if Hera needed any more reasons to say yes.