Injured

Set during season three:

Summary – After taking fire in a recent mission, Ezra is left in a bad condition. During his recovery, Sabine has time to think about their relationship, and comes to a revelation...

Ezra's eyes blinked open, his first sight being the turquoise blue sky of the planet that they were on. He couldn't recall its name, but they had been there on a supply run, trying to secure a reliable source of fuel for the ships on Atollon. The fact that the apprentice was currently laying down on the ground of this harsh planet, pain searing through his right shoulder, proved just how wrong their mission had gone.
"Ezra's been hit!" he heard a voice shout over a volley of laser bolts. But every sound that entered his ears echoed, like whispers on the wind. There was a deafening ringing that seemed to drown out everything else. The apprentice winced with pain, letting out a yelp at the wave of discomfort that passed through his shoulder when he tried to move. He felt helpless, paralysed in the middle of a warzone by fear and agony. The seconds passed by, feeling like an eternity to the injured Lothalian. He was in a bad way. It was Sabine who reached him first, running swiftly to his side and crouching down next to him. She looked down at him in concern and asked him something. He didn't hear her, and the pain in his throat prevented him from answering anybody. He just felt so...tired. All he wanted to do was close his eyes. As he did, and consciousness began to leave him, he could hear Sabine's indistinct shouting. But then his vision was replaced by blackness.

The medical bay in Chopper Base was hardly advanced, and most imperial medical officers would no doubt have scoffed at the meagre facilities that the rebellion could get its hands on. There were only ten sickbeds, despite the growing size of Phoenix Squadron, and bacta was a resource becoming more and more precious. But despite this, Ezra's status and prestige within the rebellion granted him immediate access to a bed, and the care of a doctor droid. He was a hero after all, and rank came with its privileges. But, at the end of the day, rebel hero or not, he still ended up in the same place as every injured soldier, laid unconscious in a sickbay hooked up to a heart monitor.
"Your friend is stable. The bacta that has been applied is soothing his wound, but his body appears to have entered a temporary coma. Perfectly natural in moments of extreme stress. However, it could be days, or even weeks until he wakes again. I am afraid the only option is to be patient" the medical droid reported as the entire Ghost crew listened to the verdict. Zeb sighed and turned away, not wanting to see his friend in such a state. Kanan instinctively put his arm comfortingly around Hera, knowing that she'd somehow find a way to blame herself for this. And Chopper let out a sad series of bleeps. Sabine, well her reaction was minimal, lowering her head and remaining completely silent. Since he was the only one who could bring himself to speak, Kanan was the first to open his mouth.
"Thank you" he said to the droid, causing it to nod before slowly walking away to see to other patients. At this point, Zeb walked back into the centre of the group, frustration clear on his face.
"How did this even happen?! He was right next to us!" the Lasat shouted, before sighing despondently. Loud outbursts were his way of dealing with stress. Before anybody could answer, the communicator in Hera's hand beeped, and the Twi-Lek clicked it in response. A hologram of Commander Sato appeared.
"Greeting Spectres. I heard about Bridger, sorry about what happened. However, I must request your presence in the command room. There is another mission that must be completed" the commander said, causing Zeb to sigh loudly. Everybody remained silent for a moment, before Hera finally answered.
"Understood, we'll be right there" the Twi-Lek stated, turning the communicator off as tears rolled down her eyes. She was the first to leave the room, swiftly followed by Kanan and Chopper. Zeb was more reluctant to leave, but he eventually began to follow them, stopping himself when he saw Sabine frozen in place.
"Come on, Sabine. There's nothing we can do for him right now" he reasoned calmly, placing a supportive hand on her shoulder. But she didn't react, she didn't even move, if she wasn't stood up, one would be forgiven for thinking she was dead. The Lasat walked around to her front, and his heart filled with guilt when he saw the tears rolling down her face. Her lips were quivering, and her breaths were short and ragged. In all these years, he'd never seen her this bad.
"Come here" he said, pulling her into a tight hug. The pair had always had a brother-sister relationship, and it was times like this where it really shined through. They stayed like that for well over a minute, the Mandalorian girl refusing to let go. Eventually, they separated, but still Sabine would not move an inch.
"Are you coming? Or do you want me to tell Sato that you're taking a break?" Zeb asked, and finally she looked directly at him, her swollen eyes meeting his.
"I-I can't leave him..." she whispered, and the Lasat nodded in understanding. He gave one last grim smile, before walking away in the same direction as the others. And then, Sabine was left on her own.