2012 Part Three

Updated 07/17/20

May 2012

Everyone, minus Thor and Dr. Banner, sits around the table, defeated as Fury paces in front of them, "These were in Phil Coulson's jacket," Fury announces, "guess he never did get you to sign them." The Director throws the bloodstained cards on the table in from of Captain America. "We're dead in the air up here, our communications, location of the Cube, Banner, Thor, I got nothing for you, lost my one good eye. You had that coming." Fury starts pacing again, "Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number though because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark knows this, called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more, see if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes." Stark abruptly stands up and walks out of the room, Fury sighs, "Well it's an old fashioned notion."

Captain America finds Percy standing in the lab a few hours later, "You got a suit?"

"Not really, I mean I got some armor, but that's about it," Percy rambles

"Well suit up, I'm sure S.H.I.E.L.D. has some spare gear around here somewhere," Captain America says, "Meet us in Bay 6."

After putting on some light armor, Percy walks over to Bay 6 to find Captain America, Agent Barton, and Agent Romanoff stealing a jet. They all get in the jet and head toward the city.

"Stark we're on your three, heading northeast," Romanoff says as they jet nears the city.

"What'd you stop for drive though?" Stark jokes, "Swing up Park, I'll lay 'em out for you." Romanoff and Barton take out the aliens following Stark and start flying up the tower to try and take them out in the air. They spot Thor and Loki fighting on the roof.

"Nat?" Barton says directing her attention to the brothers.

"See 'em," she replies aims the jet's weapons at Loki. The god quickly shoots the jet with his scepter and they spiral towards the ground. Percy and Steve hang onto the ceiling as Barton lands the jet on the sidewalk. The four of them run out of the jet.

"We gotta get back up there!" Captain America exclaims amongst the chaos.

Suddenly, they hear a loud noise and a shadow passes over the street. The four look up to see a giant whale-like creature fly out of the portal towards the city. They stare at is as it passes over them, aliens jumping out into the buildings. "Stark, you seeing this?" Captain America asks.

"Seeing, still working on believing," Stark replies from his vantage point above, "Have you seen Banner yet?"

"Banner?" Captain America replies confused.

"Just keep me posted," Stark replies before looking for a way to attack the creature. Captain America, Romanoff, Barton, and Percy stay on the ground taking down any aliens that come close to them.

"We got civilians trapped in the buildings," Hawkeye says as they all huddle behind a taxi.

Three alien crafts fly overhead blowing up everything on the street, "Loki," Captain America mutters, "They're fish in a barrel down there."

More aliens land on the bridge, Captain America looks between them and the civilians, "We got this, it's good, go," Romanoff says.

"You think you can hold them off?" Captain America asks.

Barton grins, "Captain, it'd be my genuine pleasure," he replies getting his arrows ready.

Captain America and Percy jump off the bridge on to the bus below as the alien crafts start shooting again. The two jump on to the ground and narrowly miss the explosion behind them. They race though the streets towards the group of police officers, Captain America jumps and land on the hood of a police car. "You need men in these buildings, there are people inside and they could be running right into the line of fire," Captain America orders pointing to his right, "You take them to the basement or though the subway, you keep them off the streets. I need a perimeter as far back as 39th."