Chapter Forty-Six: Thanks(Givings)

Thanksgiving day. My first ever Thanksgiving with Chris and the first I’ve ever taken time to celebrate. I made sure everything was special. I cooked, baked, and bought for Chris’ family and friends. Judging by the smiles and the occasional compliments, so far, I’m doing well. Ms. Joyce and Alex have been complimenting my cooking skills, which was big since he was raised on their food.

I held Mijo’s daughter Ana in my arms, letting her chubby face nuzzle inbetween my neck as I burp her. She was so cute with her stuffed face and thick head full of curls. I lightly patted her back, feeling her tiny fingers curl against my shoulder blades. 

“I think you should put her to bed.” Denise’s voice said as she came closer to examine her angel.

I smiled at her. She’s been so helpful during this whole day. She even helped me cook the turkey. I couldn’t thank her enough. 

“I think so too.”

I left Denise to bring Ana into a spare guest room. I opened the door and slowly walked on the carpet to lay her down on the covered bed, moving the pillows on each side of her so she wouldn’t speak. I stepped back and took a good look at her. She was so beautiful. She was so peaceful. I felt the rising of tears penetrate my eyes, fighting a war with Emotions. 

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” A deep voice said, startling me.

I turned around to see Chris. He waas smiling wide at me as he came closer.

“She is. I can’t wait until we have babies!” I said.

“Wait—did you just say that you want children?”

“Yeah. I want two: a girl and a boy.” He walked over and gave me a hug.

“Soon.” He said, before kissing me.

James’ POV

Thanksgiving. Another holiday. Unlike the previous years, I’m stuck with my family at my sister’s house. She just gave birth last week, a day after my birthday (November 17th). Instead of spending this year with someone else, I’m spending it here. Michael’s gone and all of my contacts are ‘busy.’ The best thing about today? My nephew Luke who idolizes me. His eyes literally light up when I’m around. I watched as he cooed and sang for my attention.

“Lukie, guess who’s here? Grandma and grandpa!” Jessica’s usually raspy voice went up two octaves for her baby talk. It made me sick.

He quickly got off of my lap and ran into the living room, making me slide down the dining room chair. I dug in a piece of pumpkin pie and rolled my eyes in disgust. I haven’t seen those two since Halloween. Both of my parents walked into the room; mom had a sore-brought pie and dad had a look of displeasure on his face when we madse eye contact. Nothing ever satisfied him.

“Hi Jimmy!” She said, bypassing the rigid man I call my father and dropping the pie in front of me.

“I didn’t know you were going to be here. If I did, I would’ve told you to wear another shirt.” She’s never satisfied.

“Hi.” I said, taking another bite from my plate.

Jessica came in with her newborn son, Jack, with Luke behind her. I watched as she went from me to her new grandson, taking him into her arms. Her eyes crinkled and she smiled.

“Aww….he’s so cute.”

“I know, right?” Jessica replied.

Mom put the baby back into his mother’s arms and walked over to me again.

“I wish you had a child of your own. I’m not getting older, you know.” She nagged. 

I sighed, putting my hand into my face as I leaned my elbow on the chair.