Chapter Eleven: Friday, November 30th, 2007

Friday, November 30th, 2007

I fix my black dress, smoothing down the hem of the skirt.

I’m nervous. It’s my court date today. 

“Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll be fine.” Chris said. I looked up.

“How do you know?” I asked, biting my lip.

“Trust me, you’ll be fine.” He said, pulling me in for a kiss.

“Alright.” I said, taking in a breath.

“You’ll be fine.” He repeated, smoothing his hand on my shoulder. He kissed me on my forehead.

“Bye.” I said, breaking away from his embrace. I waved.

“Bye.” He said, opening the door to expose two large guards waiting for me in the hallways. 

“Hey Joe! Hey Terry!” I said, waving to them.

“Hey Mike!” They said in unison.

“Ready to go?” Joe asked, rubbing his large beard.

“Yep.” I said, walking in front of them.

I walked beside them as we left the hospital wing, down the dark stairs, past the bland lobby and outside. The sun decided to shine today. When her rays and my eyes met, I immediately squinted. I put my right hand above it to shield my eyes. I felt the cool November air for a brief moment until both Joe and Terry opened the back of the truck. I sighed, hopping up on it and sitting on the vacant seat.I watched as they closed the door, leaving me alone in the trunk.

The whole ride there was alright, I guess. I just wanted to get it over with. When we arrived, they opened the trunk for me and I got out, almost slipping. We walked into the courthouse. We walked past the brown walls and furniture until we were at our destination. The men parted a bit, letting me walk down the familiar aisle of Judge Palmero’s court room. I stopped beside my table where my lawyer, Angela Stevens, was sitting. I nodded, greeting her, and sitting beside her.

“Now that Ms. Johanson is here, we may now proceed to start.” Judge Piggy said.

“Hello, your honor.” Angela said.

“Hello Ms. Stevens. Shall we read about Ms. Johanson’s progress?”

“Yes, your honor.” She stood up, putting on her wire rimmed glasses and a folder in one hand. She cleared her throat while I sat back, preparing to listen to my “progress.”

“Accoording to Michael’s psychologist, Dr. Hudson, she has been improving tremendously. She hasn’t had any outbursts of any sort. She’s cooperating at group therapy sessions and interacting with the other patients in a platonic manner. She’s been taking all of her medication. Also, her social worker, Dr. Shepard, her school grades are excellent. Her tutor, Ms. Taylor, is considering graduating her in January.” The judge nodded.

“Very good. Is there anything else you would like to add?”

“Yes, my client has been accepted to several Ivy league universities and she would like to request being let out early.” Judge Piggy’s black irises peeled to mine.

“You do know that it is not my choice to let you out. I just grant emancipation and with your current behavior, I can forsee that it will be earlier if you keep it up.” She said. I forced a fake smile. 

“Thank you.” I said, nodding.

“With that being said, court is adjourned.” She said, hitting that hammer into the wood.