Chapter Twenty-One: I'm Sorry

Angela and I were rolling on her bed, laughing.

“I’m so serious.” She said.

“Whatever. What time is it?” I laughed off.

“I don’t know. Check your phone.” She said, gettingup to use the bathroom.

I reached over to my purse to pull out my phone. I checked the time. 8:42. I noticed a pop up full of messages came up. 23 missing calls. 15 voicemails. All from James. I sighed. I know he’s gonna be angry. I called him back, putting the phone to my ear. I got off the bed and walked into the living room. I don’t want Angela to hear.

“Hello?” He asked, irritably.

“Hey baby. You called?”

“I called you 23 times and NOW you want to answer?” 

“Yeah-well, I was out all day. I’m sorry.”

“What the hell were you doing all day?”

“I was-uh-with Angela.” I said lowly. 

“Angela? Uh huh. The next time I call, you better answer. You are so lucky that I’m still at work-” He said.

“Mike, who’re you talking to?” Angela asked.

I covered my hands on my phone so he wouldn’t hear me. 

“James.” I said.

“Oh.” She said unenthusiastically. She walked away.

“Hello?”

“Who the fuck was that?” He asked, angrier.

“It was Angela. Calm down, babe.”

“Listen, you better be at my house by the time I get home. I got to go. Bye.” He said, hanging up.

“Bye.” I said, my eyes widening.

I took a deep sigh and then swallowed. I started to put on my shoes.

“Where are you going? I just ordered the pizza.” Angela said.

“I have to go. He wants be to go over to his house before he gets home.”

“Now? Isn’t he working late tonight?”

“I know-but-but he wants me there. What if he comes early?”

“Mike, he can’t control you like this. You’re a grown woman now. You should be able to go when and where as you please.”

“I know. He just wants me by his side-“

“So you can be his pet?”

“I’m not his pet.”

“Then what are you?”

“I’m his girlfriend.”

“You’re his doormat. What happened to the old Mike? The one who mouthed off to anyone? The one who made sarcastic comebacks? The one who isn’t afraid to set someone straight? Where is she?”

“That Mike fell in love, okay. Now drop it. I gotta go.” I said, collecting my things before I left.

She shook her head, closing the door for me. When I arrived at his house, I pulled out my key to open the door. I walked in, closing the door behind me. I opened the lights in the living room and sat down. I sighed. How long is he gonna make me wait? I slowly dozed off onto the couch until I heard the sound of keys jinginling. I immeadiately got up on my feet and stood up to greet him.

“Hey baby. How was work?” I said with a smile on my face.

He walked past me with a bottle of Brandy in his hands and a glass. He sat down and poured it. I watched as he drank all down.